Removing Mount From Roof

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I have two unused Dish Network mounts on my roof without dishes that I would like to remove for cosmetic reasons. Within the next few years I'll probably be getting a new roof, but until then I would like to remove the mounts.

Recommendations on best way to fill the holes to prevent water leaks? Or would you simply keep the mounts attached until a new roof is installed?

Either keep the mounts there until you put the new rook on or make sure you put plenty of caulk in the holes after you remove them.

I've had a devil of a time with my stays holding up a 4' mast, and I've moved the eyes several times because they got loose. I just used roofing sealer in the holes and never had a leak. The last time I used roofing sealer on the eye threads and holes as well, and that seems to have fixed that issue too.

Remove the "J" tube and leave the flat base on the roof until you reroof. If it isn't leaking it shouldn't leak if you leave it in place.

If you must remove then get some matching roof shingles and replace the damaged shingles. "This Old House" has done several shows for repairing asphalt shingled roofs.

Remove the "J" tube and leave the flat base on the roof until you reroof. If it isn't leaking it shouldn't leak if you leave it in place.

If you must remove then get some matching roof shingles and replace the damaged shingles. "This Old House" has done several shows for repairing asphalt shingled roofs.

That's a pretty good idea. I'm going to call you Boba Vila.

I have two unused Dish Network mounts on my roof without dishes that I would like to remove for cosmetic reasons. Within the next few years I'll probably be getting a new roof, but until then I would like to remove the mounts.

Recommendations on best way to fill the holes to prevent water leaks? Or would you simply keep the mounts attached until a new roof is installed?
Leave them until you have the roof replaced. No sense in disturbing them which could cause a leak

Reactions: thomasjk
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I've decided to leave them in place until I get a new roof. This weekend, I used one of them to mount a 30" J pole onto along with an Antennas Direct DB8e antenna. Love this antenna!

Attachments

• 100_6881.JPG
    100_6881.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 128

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)