Rename Your Town 'DISH,' Get Free Satellite TV for 10 Years

The sad part is someone like Dish does not care about a towns past, meaning or anything else. They just want to get a "name" out there. Cable does more to support the communities they serve, not try to get them to rename it or get people so upset about something such as this. Cable supports there communities they serve through franchise fees (which goes for police, fire, schools, etc.), local people works for them, more involved in the community they serve. so forth and so on, I believe a stunt like this in the long run will hurt Dish not help. People wants stuff for free all the time but when you take away there history for corporate greed like in this case, then there is a line to be drawn and it just did.

But................

There is a Cable, Wisconsin.
It's about 85-95 miles from us in northern Wisconsin. Home of Telemark Lodge ski resort and the annual Birkebiner Cross Country Ski race.
And yes there is actually only 1 main road to get to it. Hiway 63. Look on a Wisconsin map. This hit the Twin Cities Papers a couple of weeks ago. People up there are not to happy about somebody trying to change the town name.
I hope this clears it up a little bit.
Lyle :D

If it was such a joke, then why is Dish going in person to talk about this and push them when they are pissed about the idea to begin with. It is a very bad idea and I just assume take my business elsewhere and show Dish that this is not how things are.

If cable(sherrad) and sherrad village are different towns than I still can't frind them in the US Census and they do not exisit as an actually town. Probably on county owned land

hey dish isnt the first to do something like this September 26, 2005 6:05 PM PDT
Kentucky town to get $100k to change name?

When the online auction site Half.com convinced the tiny Oregon town of Halfway to rename itself Half.com in 1999 in return for six figures of cold hard cash, it ushered in a strange era of buzz marketing and greedy townsfolk.

The ploy worked, though, as the auction site got a huge amount of publicity, far more than it ever would have gotten for the paltry amount it paid the Oregon hamlet.

Well, now another online company is trying the same gimmick.

According to the Associated Press, PokerShare.com has offered the western Kentucky town of Sharer $100,000 to change its name to that of the poker site.

Naturally, being bribed to change its name to that of an online gambling site is a bit controversial, especially in the south.

"I can't speak for everybody, but certainly speaking for myself, this isn't going to happen," Butler County Judge-Executive Hugh Evans told the AP. "When you talk about poker and gambling, we're not for that in our county. It's very conservative."

Still, six figures is six figures, and you can imagine that someone in the town's bureaucracy can figure out a way to spend the money, especially since it's not like anyone there has to do anything except maybe change some letterhead.

No word yet on what the town will decide to do. The odds are 3-1 against on PokerShare.com. Just kidding.

Posted by Daniel Terdiman

Heck - the town of Freshwater, Colorado was bribed to change their name to Guffey something like 100 years ago. Guffey was a Senator from Pennsylvania.

I lived in Guffey for 10 years, and still live nearby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts