4000 "dead"--have I been ECM'ed?

catnap1972

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 26, 2004
Central Pennsylvania
Last night around 5pm while watching the TV in the living room, the 4000 I have there went out, and came back with an "acquiring signal" message which wouldn't go away for several minutes. I turned it off with the remote, then back on and it came back to life. Figured maybe it's a glitch and thought no more of it.

Fast forward to this morning and the 4000 I have in the bedroom. I have it and my TV set up to come on in the morning (alarm clock) so I can watch the news. TV comes on, and 4000 is on (green LED) but I just have snow (TV doesn't have ability to tune to 'line' on times, so I have to use channel 3). The remote for the 4000 does nothing, neither does the front panel buttons. I tried recycling power via the power cord from the receiver, but all I get is a couple of flickers of the front panel LED, then a steady 'on', but still no picture (buttons won't function either). That receiver worked fine YESTERDAY morning, so I'm wondering if there was something related to that reboot on the other receiver yesterday afternoon that may have killed the bedroom receiver.

Does this sound like I've been zapped? Both receivers were bought new (back in 1997), and both have the newer yellow cards (all legit, no "funny business"). If the receiver is dead, what's my cheapest option to get another (functioning) one...don't have hundreds to spend on another receiver at this point in time.

If it's got a green light it shouldn't give you snow unless on channel 3. What happens when you switched it to a "line-in" channel? Blue screen? Black Screen?

Sounds like a channel 101 problem honestly...

Purogamer said:
If it's got a green light it shouldn't give you snow unless on channel 3. What happens when you switched it to a "line-in" channel? Blue screen? Black Screen?

I get just a black screen. The problem is central to the bedroom receiver as the living room one still works, and I tried the "hosed" receiver in the living room but get the same (non-)result from it. I did try a couple of things to see if I'd get a different results:

Sat line unplugged-card in or out: plug receiver in, dead, no response to front panel buttons or remote

Sat line plugged in-card in or out: plug receiver in, get grey screen for a second, front panel LED flashes a couple of times, then steady on...black screen, no response to remote or front panel buttons.

I don't smell anything burnt from the unit so I don't have a clue what could've happened to it in the span of 24 hours of non use (aside from it being zapped). :eek:

Not ecmed just a natural death. RIP 4000. The death throes of the one may have jolted its twin. IMO

A local dealer may have one. Dish home Protection may let you get one for free. You will have to beg for a UHF model if needed. A refurb 501 maybe.

I read over your symptoms and really don't think you saw an ecm. I would say that it was more likely you saw a power surge, or something that caused a component failure in the one unit. Sorry to say that the 4000 is probably toast.

I would try to contact Dish and get a new unit. You have been a customer for 8 years without any equipment upgrades and should be able to get replacement units, especially if you are willingto play the jump ship game and threaten to go to D*.

At the very least, think of it as an opportunity to rethink your equipment. The old 4000s are pretty painful to use these days. YOu might want to consider a DVR. If you can't get a freebie from DISH, a 501 is only $120 from the DishStore. Even if you never used it as a DVR, it would still get you pip in the guide as well as the 7 day guide. But once you see how a DVR works, you'll never look back.

I'd be more than willing to stick the "still working" 4000 in the bedroom and replace the living room unit with a 301 (or whatever the cheapo box is these days) as funds are rather tight right now.

Dish does offer the 301 in my account as an "upgrade" but they don't mention how much (I'm assuming the usual $99 fee...too much for a leased box). Do they have leeway or am I going to have to scour Ebay for a cheapo 301?

But how can it not show anything on screen and still have the light on, if it's died? Wouldn't the light be off?

Hit that tv/video button...

If that doesn't work, unplug it for a while (hour or so) and see if it doesn't come back. A surge or ECM (not what happened, but...) would have taken out both boxes in most cases, plus other things...

Purogamer said:
But how can it not show anything on screen and still have the light on, if it's died? Wouldn't the light be off?

Hit that tv/video button...

If that doesn't work, unplug it for a while (hour or so) and see if it doesn't come back. A surge or ECM (not what happened, but...) would have taken out both boxes in most cases, plus other things...

I've had it unplugged for several hours, but when plugged back in, same result (green light but NO picture). I also thought that was odd for what seems like a "dead" receiver.

Getting back to the suggestions of looking at the DVRs, they do have the offer for the 522 (or whatever the current equivalent is) for $100. Does this include the installation, and how much more would that cost me a month than I'm already paying (have AT120+supers+locals+2nd rcvr fee currently)? Also do they still offer the $25 credit for returned receivers or have they dropped that?

It isn't suposed to work this way. But if you get the 522 to replace a secondary 4000, your bill will go up about $5. (dvr fee only)

Later if you remove the other 4000, some csrs will reduce bill $5. This is not right as you should pay a lease fee and a dvr fee when all is done.

I've seen it happen. It's worth a try.

Unless you REALLY!!! have your heart set on a DVR, I think your best bet is to simply sign up for Dish Home Protection and then schedule a trouble-call for your dead receiver. Chances are the technician will replace the 4000 with a 301 or 311. Downside of that is you lose the UHF capability that you had with the 4000.

Once you feel comfortable with things, I would promptly call Dish up and then cancel the DHP. A lot cheaper than paying for a new ($99) or remanufactured ($79) receiver.

Getting back to the suggestions of looking at the DVRs, they do have the offer for the 522 (or whatever the current equivalent is) for $100. Does this include the installation, and how much more would that cost me a month than I'm already paying (have AT120+supers+locals+2nd rcvr fee currently)? Also do they still offer the $25 credit for returned receivers or have they dropped that?
THAT'S THE TICKET!

Yes, it should include the installation.

While you're at it, drop the other 4000. Your monthly cost will be the same as now (if you hook a phoneline to the 522/625), and you'll have TWO tuners worth of DVR.

Dunno about the $25 credit, but that's just icing on the cake.

SimpleSimon said:
THAT'S THE TICKET!

Yes, it should include the installation.

While you're at it, drop the other 4000. Your monthly cost will be the same as now (if you hook a phoneline to the 522/625), and you'll have TWO tuners worth of DVR.

Dunno about the $25 credit, but that's just icing on the cake.

Simon, Ive found that not to be the case. Same cost. They want to hit you for the lease fee if it's your only box.

The only way I've gotten around it is, as in prev post. And that doesn't always work.

See what I mean! he's only paying one $5 extra now. He will pay two after.
Or maybe thats what you meant? Not counting DVR fee it will be the same.

Communication is a bitch! :D

What are you talking about. I had two 311's. I replaced them with a 522 my bill went down .02 a month as long as I keep my phone line connected.

If you can get E* to upgrade you to a 522 do it. Get rid of your other 4000, and you pay less a month (well if you call 2 cents going down :))and have DVR on 2 tv's.

Ive seen recievers power up but give a snow filled screen with no a/v evident. It is worth a try to check all the lines from the 4000 to the tv and make sure that the chan 3/4 switch on the reciever is where its supposed to be and the same for what ever may be between the receiver and the tv. However I am more apt to agrea that it sounds like you had a power surge in your home because of what happened with the other 4000, I'd wager that if you had had the one in the bedroom on it would have done the same thing.

Dave nye said:
What are you talking about. I had two 311's. I replaced them with a 522 my bill went down .02 a month as long as I keep my phone line connected.

If you can get E* to upgrade you to a 522 do it. Get rid of your other 4000, and you pay less a month (well if you call 2 cents going down :))and have DVR on 2 tv's.

I'm trying to figure this out! I don't doubt you. Just don't understand it.

It could be that you were originally installed as lease or your recs were leased. Or the rules changed on me. :eek:

If a cx replaces their only (owned) rec with a leased one, bill goes up $5 (lease fee). If replace 2ndary rec, bill stays the same.

Anyone know where I'm going wrong here.? It's a small but important issue.

522s = $5 per tuner (first $5 waived if first box, 2nd $5 waived if plugged into phone line) + $4.98 fee

If you replace both 4000s the bill will go down 2 cents with that one 522. I think that's what they're trying to say :)

Van said:
Ive seen recievers power up but give a snow filled screen with no a/v evident. It is worth a try to check all the lines from the 4000 to the tv and make sure that the chan 3/4 switch on the reciever is where its supposed to be and the same for what ever may be between the receiver and the tv. However I am more apt to agrea that it sounds like you had a power surge in your home because of what happened with the other 4000, I'd wager that if you had had the one in the bedroom on it would have done the same thing.

Does the front panel LED have the ability to flash problem codes? Every time I've tried power cycling via the plug it seems like the light is trying to "say" something ("4312", or "4322" or something...hard to read the counts)

OoTLink said:
522s = $5 per tuner (first $5 waived if first box, 2nd $5 waived if plugged into phone line) + $4.98 fee

If you replace both 4000s the bill will go down 2 cents with that one 522. I think that's what they're trying to say :)

But the $5 lease fee is still there, isn't it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)