Renew contract, is it worth it

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

antigreedguy

Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
US
Just a quick question about renewing, what happens when a contract runs out
is there anything for locking back in for another two years? can it be for just one?

Can you get another receiver? anything off, what offers have some of you got
recently,

I read on another tread, that greed has really taken over Dish network
lately and that their not willing to give anything much to retain current customers.
I guess you already have the hole in roof right?

This is a legitimate question I have, I am not trying to be fallacious, I just speak in
blunt terms when it comes to Corporations, I truly believe they are just a cash
rainfall for the few who control them. when you deal with them you will always get
hosed, its just a matter of, how bad and how greedy the CEO is.

TP

Too bad you have chosen to look at life that way. From your post, it looks to me like you want something for nothing. "and that their not willing to give anything much to retain current customers" Like what? They have a service, either you want their service, somebody else's service, or no service. To me, it ends up ME who pays something for you to get something free.

To answer your question, just like the cell phone companies, there is no reason to continue a contract, until a promotion comes along that you want, which requires you to do so. When I wanted to get HD, I had not had a contract in over 12 years. But signing a two year contract greatly reduced my out of pocket cost, so was happy to sign for two years.

is there anything for locking back in for another two years? can it be for just one?

recently,

I read on another tread, that greed has really taken over Dish network
lately and that their not willing to give anything much to retain current customers.
I guess you already have the hole in roof right?

This is a legitimate question I have, I am not trying to be fallacious, I just speak in
blunt terms when it comes to Corporations, I truly believe they are just a cash
rainfall for the few who control them. when you deal with them you will always get
hosed, its just a matter of, how bad and how greedy the CEO is.

TP
When you reach the end of your 24 month contract you go onto a month by month basis. If you don't like the regular price you quit. If the standard price is acceptable you continue paying it like most of us. If you want to upgrade your equipment you may get a discount by signing a new 2 year contract.

recently,TP
When our customers end their commitment with us, they then have the ability to change things on their account, no minimum programming requirements and you do have the ability to discontinue service with us with no penalties. We hope you choose to stay with us! If you upgrade your receivers, it does require resigning a 24 month commitment with us if you choose to do so. All our current commitments are for 24 months. Any upgrade promotions are handled on an account to account basis. If you would like specific information regarding your account, you can PM me and I will be happy to take a look for you! Thank you and have a nice day!

I love Dish, cant remember when I first signed up was back when the latest receiver was the model 4000 and it was Americas top40 back in the 90's sometime. That was back when you had buy all your equipment and pay a local retailer to install Dish did not do installs back then. Have no plans on leaving and would gladly sign up for another 2 year or if they even offered a 4 year contract to keep the cost down.
It is too bad you feel the way you do I agree with Tampa8.

Don't blame the guy for wondering. It's not like we're not bombarded weekly with ads from Dish offering everything but the kitchen sink to sign up with them as a new sub. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that retention is just as important or should be. I don't think you should necessarily be given anything for signing another 2 year contract but then again it is a two year commitment which is beneficial to Dish. Maybe a half dozen PPV's would be a nice little, "Thanks for your support".

It should be added that there is, in fact, what could be considered a hidden "penalty": If you close your account and leave Dish Network, you have to pay the shipping charges to send any leased boxes back to Dish Network and you have to, by your own effort or means climb the roof (if the dish is installed there), somehow unscrew, disconnect, or just plain cut the cables and send back the LNBF's at the reflector if that was installed for free or a discount (this is the only thing I really object to--I'm willing to begrudgingly swallow the shipping costs--as there are number of people who really can't do this and the LNBF's are cheap for Dish--you leave them behind when you move, so they musn't be ruining Dish's financials ), or you will be charged for any unreturned equipment. Did I say hidden "penalty"? I should have said hidden "penalties."

While the official Dish CSR's do a really good job, in general, this is the sort of information they always omit :). Best advice to the team in answering posts is not to oversell something because it will be corrected by posters here and bring up the dark side of Dish. For your own sake, don't even mention "no penalties" again :).

Last edited:
It should be added that there is, in fact, what could be considered a hidden "penalty": If you close your account and leave Dish Network, you have to pay the shipping charges to send any leased boxes back to Dish Network and you have to, by your own effort or means climb the roof (if the dish is installed there), somehow unscrew, disconnect, or just plain cut the cables and send back the LNBF's at the reflector if that was installed for free or a discount (this is the only thing I really object to--I'm willing to begrudgingly swallow the shipping costs--as there are number of people who really can't do this and the LNBF's are cheap for Dish--you leave them behind when you move, so they musn't be ruining Dish's financials ), or you will be charged for any unreturned equipment. Did I say hidden "penalty"? I should have said hidden "penalties."

While the official Dish CSR's do a really good job, in general, this is the sort of information they always omit :). Best advice to the team in answering posts is not to oversell something because it will be corrected by posters here and bring up the dark side of Dish. For your own sake, don't even mention "no penalties" again :).
A penalty is defined as "a punishment, e.g. a fine, for failing to fulfill the terms of a legal agreement" and is referencing our cancellation penalty which one incurs when choosing to cancel when in a commitment. The OP did not ask about what fees would be incurred with disconnecting, otherwise my answer would have included that information. Anytime I am asked about what would happen if I choose to cancel my service, I always disclose that fee. I am not here to sell anything. I just offer information to the best of my ability.

We do not ever require or ever recommend that someone climb on their roof for any reason!! The return package does ask for the LNBF to be returned, (not all installations are on a roof). If a customer is unable to retrieve it, we notate the account and they will not be charged for it.

Have a good night!

Did you not get any of the 30th anniversary gifts?
I did. Along with a rate increase. There is a cost factor involved in recruiting new subs. Every time you lose an existing sub there is a void to fill. It seems wiser to spend $50 to keep a existing sub than it is to spend several hundred $$'s to recruit a new one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)