Not able to play recorded movies

sandhu002

Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
Hi,
Last night I recorded couple of movies from Starz on my DVR. They are showing up under my recordings but I am unable to play them. When I select the movie to play it starts playing as the movie is about to start it skips to the end of it and I get this message on screen.
Error 005 - Your smart card does not currently have authorization to view or purchase this program.

Any one have any idea what is going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Last night I recorded couple of movies from Starz on my DVR. They are showing up under my recordings but I am unable to play them. When I select the movie to play it starts playing as the movie is about to start it skips to the end of it and I get this message on screen.
Error 005 - Your smart card does not currently have authorization to view or purchase this program.

Any one have any idea what is going on here?

Thanks in advance.
I'd start by unplugging the power.. waiting a minute, plugging back in ... this should get your receiver re-authorized and its setup its allowed packages.. ie starz

if it still doesn't let you play those movies, and you can tune in to starz, try recording something new, if new recordings work, and the old ones don't... you'll probably have to contact dish directly (though there are Dish Reps trolling the forums too) they may have some way to unlock them .. or you may have to re-record them.

Hard reset is always a good idea. I did send a hit to your account to make sure it's authorized. Try recording something again, and let us know if the problem persists.

This is a known bug to the ViP's (known on this forum, but I don't know if Dish admits to its existence), and on this forum it seems to be more of the 722K's than others, but they to have the same problem; I've had it on both my 722 and 722K.

It usually happens only very rarely. Over 3 years, I think it has only occurred to about 5 or 6 recordings. In my case it just happens a time or two, then goes away, and is NOT even close to the trouble of having to RMA it.

For others, it happens more often and becomes frustrating. There really is nothing you can do about it as I have never seen a solution posted other than to RMA it if it happens a lot.

I know exactly what it's like and I feel your pain. Do a search and see how far back this problem goes, and just when you think Dish may have fixed it, someone like you posts the same bug. Few things hurt more than sitting down to watch that movie are favorite episode of a TV show and BANG! It all ends in 1 minute.

This bug seems to occur in bunches: 2 or 3 recordings for like a day or two, then perfectly fine for several months, then it happens again, then maybe OK for almost a year, then . . . . I don't know if even a complete dump and reformat works--which I DO NOT recommend for you at this point. But I would love to know if any of the more than a few who have had this happen to them came across a real solution.

I'm suddenly reminded of a few times I had this happen with my 625's. Most of those times I remember it happening after we had LoS like during a rain storm or something... and most of the time it happened somewhere other than the beginning.

What I eventually found I could do, was skip over (either the forward skip or the fast forward) just over that part of the recording and it would let me play the rest of the show...

Maybe try that with your recording.. if the thing would play for 10 seconds, try starting it, and immediately hitting fast forward or skip forward to see if it will hop over that glitch spot.

One thing I wish the DVR's could do... edit .. :) could mark beginning and ending of commercials, hit the edit button and POOF! gone... :) Same for this glitch if you can skip over it ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts