Replace rented HWS hard drive

tennisnut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 1, 2010
Houston area
We're getting more frequent HD failure messages on one of our old, rented HWSs, so it's decision time. H3 is a reasonable option, but it's not the best time for us. I know that it's easy to replace the HD, what would be the fallout if I did it myself on a rented HWS? I could save the old one and reinstall it whenever we upgrade. All suggestions welcome, but preferably from someone who has done this. Thanks

Been there. Done that. Bad experiences. So what if they notice that the seal was broken! I would be doing them and us a favor.
You would be doing them a great favor. They will charge you for the entire cost of the receiver. The receiver is theirs and you are not authorized to do anything with it other to return it after they send you a different one.

Been there. Done that. Bad experiences. So what if they notice that the seal was broken! I would be doing them and us a favor.
They could even just shut down your account, after you refuse to pay full retail for the HWS you attempted to replace with a new HDD, for violation of the agreement.

This is Charlie-ville: It can be a great place with sunshine and love, but if you violate terms, especially with regards to the HDD (which can be construed as attempting to illegally copy copyright content), then, YES, Dish may very well drop the hammer, and I would NOT blame them as they would be protecting their relationships with content services and owners regarding removal of HDD's with copyright content.

Your attempt at what seems reasonable to you, the replacement of an HDD, could be seen by Dish as "over the line" in their view. Oh, and as stated by another poster, Dish would likely charge you the full retail for the HWS even if you cancel your subscription as the door hits you on the way out (the door hitting you is Charlie's view, not mine), and the CC company is likely to DENY your request to not remove the full retail HWS charge after they investigate.

Please, save yourself agrivation and just call Dish and have them send a new HWS.

Reactions: navychop
For the record, I replaced the HDD on my owned 722 and it ran fine for a few more years before Dish replaced it because of authorization issues. They did not complain to me about the seal on my owned receiver being broken.

I think if Dish owns it, they may care more.

Reactions: Bobby
For the record, I replaced the HDD on my owned 722 and it ran fine for a few more years before Dish replaced it because of authorization issues. They did not complain to me about the seal on my owned receiver being broken.

In Charlieville, your DYI change-out was probably noted on your account and tolerable as long as you are a customer paying them money, but when you leave Dish is when they will likely charge you--out of the blue weeks later--full retail for at least ONE of those DYI chageouts, even if they said nothing at the time, Dish would be in the clear, and you would be denied by the CC company any removal of the charge. You do know of Charlie Ergen, right?:)

In Charlieville, your DYI change-out was probably noted on your account and tolerable as long as you are a customer paying them money, but when you leave Dish is when they will likely charge you--out of the blue weeks later--full retail for at least ONE of those DYI chageouts, even if they said nothing at the time, Dish would be in the clear, and you would be denied by the CC company any removal of the charge. You do know of Charlie Ergen, right?:)

Do you mean DIY, as in "do it yourself"? I only did that to my owned 722, and not either of their 612's. I don't think they care if you modify your own receiver. I have suffered no such charge and it has been years later.

I have no doubt that you did this on your OWNED unit without problems, however the OP has a RENTED unit and his results may well be different. I wouldn't open a rented unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts