Replacement for dying non-leased 622?

VegasVoomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Las Vegas
I have 2 622's. One is leased and the other I purchased about 7 years ago. The leased one is doing fine. The one I purchased is starting to act up (total lockup, front panel reboot brings it back, then happens again and again). I'm wondering what my options will be when I contact Dish. Since it's not a leased unit will they automatically give me another 622 or can I request a 722K or Hopper and if so what will I be charged for either of those? I'd like to be prepared before I contact them.

They will replace your owned 622 with a refurbished 622 or perhaps a 722 if a 622 is not available. They will replace it for free if you have the protection plan. If you don't have the plan it will cost you $15 for postage. If you want to upgrade to a Hopper, you will need to relinquish service on both 622s, they can not intermix.

I recently went through this and I'd have to say that Bobby's advice about replacement cost is not correct.

To make a long story short, you'll need to either upgrade and/or subscribe to the Protection Plan for at least three months and beat them up for the shipping and handling fees.

They'll ask for relatively big money (somewhere around $100) to replace an owned ViP622. I submit that it is VERY likely that you'll get a ViP622 if you opt for a replacement.

After all is said and done, the new ViP622 is on my account as "Purchased" so if it dies after whatever warranty it comes with, I'll have to rinse and repeat.

Thanks for the replies. So Bobby, your saying I cant have a 622 downstairs and a Hopper upstairs on 2 separate TVs? The two 622's are not intermixing. The only thing they share is the signal. I'm not sure I need a Hopper for the way I watch TV but if I decide to try it I would only want one for the upstairs TV and keep the good 622 on the downstairs TV.
Harshness, I dont have the PP but I dont think this 622 is gonna last another 3 months so I guess I'll have to bend over for shipping cost. I would want them to list it as leased if thats what it is.

Thanks for the replies. So Bobby, your saying I cant have a 622 downstairs and a Hopper upstairs on 2 separate TVs? The two 622's are not intermixing. The only thing they share is the signal. I'm not sure I need a Hopper for the way I watch TV but if I decide to try it I would only want one for the upstairs TV and keep the good 622 on the downstairs TV.
Harshness, I dont have the PP but I dont think this 622 is gonna last another 3 months so I guess I'll have to bend over for shipping cost. I would want them to list it as leased if thats what it is.

It's not so much as to whether or not they can exist within the same household on a technical basis it's whether or not Dish will allow them to be on the same account. Dish will not allow a Hopper system to be intermixed with any other receiver other than a 211 (so that it can be used with a TailGater unit). So your options break down as follows:

1) Upgrade to a Hopper system (cost will vary from customer to customer so contact DIRT on this one)
2) Replace your out of warranty 622 by paying the out of warranty fee (last I checked $50) plus shipping ($15 last I checked, fees may have changed though)
3) Replace your out of warranty 622 and subscribe to the Protection Plan for $7 a month for 3 months and remove it afterwards (this should waive both the shipping fee and the out of warranty fee)
4) Upgrade to a 722 unit (again cost will vary from customer to customer so contact DIRT on this one as well)

There is one more option no one is mentioning. Replace the hard drive inside the unit yourself. You can in fact put a 722 hard drive in it and then you have basically a 722. You can do that yourself if you are handy w/ computers. Here is a link to list of approved hard drives (I've used 500g SATA that wasn't on the list but came out of a DTV DVR). http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dishmod/database/13/records Here is a link to the LEGAL site called Dishmod. There is a mod of that site that also repairs DVR's. http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dishmod/conversations/messages

Check the classifieds on this site every day. 3 weeks ago there was a person offering a 722k and a 722 for $65 plus shipping, and he could barely give it away. That's a terrific price, and should have been grabbed immediately.

That's cheaper for a 722k than installing a new drive, and it's a far better receiver than a 622. You can also use a sling adapter on it if you want. Just make sure before buying one that it's cleared by Dish to be re-activated on your account. The one 722k I bought last year to replace my 622 I activated all through DIRT and pm's, it was awesome!

There is one more option no one is mentioning. Replace the hard drive inside the unit yourself.
This isn't nearly as easy as it sounds. You have to find one of a number of obsolete hard drives that is registered with the firmware and then you have to hold out hope that it is indeed the hard drive that is failing and not some other electronics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts