Stucco or Roof - Dish Installation

Dish416

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Detroit
Hi, question about dish install. Can it be installed onto stucco (brick behind)? My only other choice is to install on roof but I worry that maybe I will have water leakage problems in the future.

Your advice is appreciated.

I'm sure it's possible to drill into brick and mount the antenna on the side of your house. Stucco itself is too crumbly to hold the weight.

I personally just went with a roof mount. Back in the day, I did my own 2-dish installation before the trees leafed out. Then, when they did, I was shocked... SHOCKED that I lost 119. :( So much for where I thought the dish was pointing. So I moved both dishes from the back to the front of the house. I never had a leak. My current house has two dishes left over from my mixed-arc days, the one for 61.5 now replaced with an EA dish with struts. Lots of holes through my roof, and zero leaks.

About the only good reason I can see for having a dish mounted lower is to make it easier to brush off the snow.

Actual pic of TheKrell's roof...

Satellite-Dishes.jpg

My Dish antenna is attached to my brick chimney with screws. You can easily attach to brick. The stucco on top of it might be a hindrance though.

:eek::eek: Deleted my post by mistake.........

It may or may not be true that it isn't allowed to install on stucco, but where I am in the greater Tampa area there are so many buildings that are stucco, and I see dishes installed to stucco. Often it is a condominium unit, mounted from the side wall of a balcony.

:eek::eek: Deleted my post by mistake.........

It may or may not be true that it isn't allowed to install on stucco, but where I am in the greater Tampa area there are so many buildings that are stucco, and I see dishes installed to stucco. Often it is a condominium unit, mounted from the side wall of a balcony.

My house south of Sarasota is stucco over block and has two Dish antennas attached to it. Not sure why attaching to a stucco wall would be prohibited as long as there is structure beneath the stucco. If the house is stucco over foam, I could see that being a problem if they didn't drill into wood or metal substructure for attachment. Plenty of homes down here with Dish antennas attached to stucco covered walls.

Well, according to Dish you can only mount to wood or brick.

Do people ignore this and install the dish on just about anything? Yep.

Just letting the OP know that the installer may refuse to install it there, and according to Dish would be well within the guidelines.

Fist of all, its only a Leak issue if not sealed. Second, if its not mounted over a living space even if it leaks it will only leak outside of the home.

If its brick we can mount to it, if its stucco, your out of luck unless you find yourself and old school tech. I've done hundreds of stucco mounts. But any body tats been hired in the last 4 years are not trained to do it.

In Florida. many homes are of cinder block construction. If the stucco is the type where the foam is used and it is furred out with an air gap in between, it's a no no.
If it is the type where the install is stucco, lath on the wire mesh with no air gap to the block, then it's ok.

Roof mounts all day long, not only is it more sound and if you use a material to seal when you drill down to keep it from leaking but its also way out of the way and will likely clear a good amount of time on line of sight. I love a roof mount, its the first place I try to go which is normally just a foot in and a foot up from the corner right into shingles - drop the line down the corner, side or behind gutter and make connections or go right into under side of home for easy hook up.

When I was installed in 1998 my house had stucco walls and a cement tile roof. My installer (he was a local contractor) put the dish on my brick chimney. Since then I've had a new dish placed on the same chimney...

I like pole mounts in the yard.

pole mounts are ok as long as they are close to the house and only a few feet of cable burial. Customers get all pissed when you tell them anything after 50feet is a charge yet they are not the one digging the trench which depending on location could be a major pain with nothing but rocks, under driveways and so forth. I run across a customer very rarely lately that breaks out a shovel and helps but most don't really care and will just think you can magically put cable under things like sidewalks.

Pole mounts are the LAST place you should go as an installer for various reasons some of which I just covered. Somewhat of a more unstable mount although it may be in concrete it only takes a few hits with a lawn mower or playing in yard with kids to do something to it and same goes with yard work and digging or running a plugger (I've seen a few of these get cables cut every spring cause they forget). Dish/Direct all from a corporate standpoint and down need to charge a fixed amount for a pole mount PERIOD. If you really need it then the customer will certainly pay, if you don't and it can go on the home then they won't and no charge needs to be made.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)