Replacement HWS is acting up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

yelraek

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2006
Talladega, Alabama
My HWS was replaced in April because the hard drive had gone bad. Now the replacement is freezing, stuttering and pixelating. It's doing it mostly on recorded and buffered shows. The system status shows good. The HDD error count is 0. The high temp is 125 with an average of 114. It started off being not too bad but now is is extremely aggravating when trying to watch recorded or buffered shows. The freeze and stuttering is happening almost every 5 minutes or so. I have tried pulling the power cable and it still does it. Anyone know what could be causing this?

I am so sorry that the replacement is acting up too. Is the receiver connected to a power strip, if so, are you able to bypass it and connect directly to a wall outlet? Also, using your Hopper remote, please press the MENU button, then select (Settings), then (Diagnostics), and finally select (System Status). Allow box "a" top reach 100%, then please tell me what colors are showing in box "g".

I am so sorry that the replacement is acting up too. Is the receiver connected to a power strip, if so, are you able to bypass it and connect directly to a wall outlet? Also, using your Hopper remote, please press the MENU button, then select (Settings), then (Diagnostics), and finally select (System Status). Allow box "a" top reach 100%, then please tell me what colors are showing in box "g".

Yes it is in a power strip and there is no wall outlet available. All three are green in box "g". The status is good.

Does your dish have a clean line of site? Those numbers are, again, very low. Otherwise, your dish may need to be re-peaked.

I did mean transponders... Sorry I wrote that after taking my "medicine" and was not exactly as clear headed as I would have liked to be.

Agreed, signal points are low. You would be surprised how many of the reflectors are poorly peaked or the mount for the reflector has, for some reason, deteriorated,meaning NOT placed or done right in the first place and has moved ever so slightly when it should not, and things can be good for a year or years before it finally gets to the point that it becomes unwatchable. I had that experience, too. I would recommend having Dish come out and check out your system and get those signal point numbers higher, where they should be. Of course, it may be the HWS itself with malfunctioning tuners or other hardware, etc., but a tech can diagnose and determine where the problem is, in most cases :).

Please keep us posted. We want to know if and how Dish has resolved this for you. The best of luck to you.

Yes, the freezing, stuttering and pixelating that you are seeing could be caused by your low signal strength. You need to have Dish re-peak (re-point) your dish and see if that fixes your issues.

Yes, the freezing, stuttering and pixelating that you are seeing could be caused by your low signal strength. You need to have Dish re-peak (re-point) your dish and see if that fixes your issues.

This usually happens on recorded shows and buffered shows. Rarely on live TV.

It likely was, and just wasn't noticed, or would have happened on other channels. 35 is pretty close to minimum to work properly, so the smallest cloud cover can affect that. You 100% need a repeak done.

Update... I was watching a recorded show today and It froze solid. Had to do the power cord reboot. I was able to continue watching the show after that but had to start over from the beginning. Fast forwarding to where It left off the fast forward stuttered a bit before I reached where I had left off. The rest of the show played without incident.

It likely was, and just wasn't noticed, or would have happened on other channels. 35 is pretty close to minimum to work properly, so the smallest cloud cover can affect that. You 100% need a repeak done.

When the tech switched me from western arc to eastern arc a few years ago he mentioned that my signal may be low because he had a hard time lining up all three satellites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts