Replacement receivers not tested?

joeh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Louisville, KY Aera
Had a hard drive failure in my 722, did a chat on dish.com and they sent me a replacement. Have had issues since the moment of hooking the replacement up, getting random complete signal loss, internal communications errors, acquiring signal, programing not authorized errors and complete freeze up and reboots. Does dish not thoroughly test the re-manufactured receivers before sending them back out? This hasn't been my only bad replacement receiver i have gotten, last year i went through about 5 in 3 months before getting one that worked.
And to top it all off, just got done with a dish chat to get them to exchange this bad receiver, they insisted that I had a cabling or mis-alignment issue, finally got them to agree to send me a replacement receiver, as it all started when i replaced the receiver, and all my other receivers on the account were currently functioning just fine.

It's been a little while back, but went through something similar. It took 3 receivers & over a week and a half before I got 1 that would work(722). 1st 1 wouldn't even power on, the 2nd would stay on acquiring signal & that's as far as it would go. I am a tech (not dns) & did confirm signal to receiver with my super buddy & the 3rd was real temperamental but did the trick and is still working.

Would think they would do better testing before sending them back out for use, to save on calls, and shipping.
Now, I think i must go out and re-align my dish that is working. :)

The 722's are all refurbs so good luck. If mine ever goes out the replacement will either be a new 722K or whatever Directv's newest DVR is.
Mine was 4 years old, i hate refurb stuff, will never ever ever purchase a refurb anything (computer, phone, etc., and i only purchase new cars!).

Have had two refurb replacements...both still good...two to three years later. So, there you go.

Just had my original 722 replaced after 4-5 years and the refurb has been perfect for 3 months now. Still have a couple of 508's that have been replaced several years ago and still going strong. My dads 722 replacement last year was a dud but the 2nd one has been perfect.

IMO it's just hit an miss sometimes and varies by area.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

These refurbished receivers are a joke, if they are truly refurbished and tested by qualified people then they should ALL be working like new!

They do, those are the actual numbers. People just continue to whine perpetuating the myth that refurbs fail more often. They don't... They have been just as solid as new for several years. Here's the burn though, DISH can prove it, but that would require publicly releasing hard numbers for how many actually do have issues. They can't prove it to you without exposing themselves to Directv, and so the myth of new vs. reman will continue.

As far as the "give me new or give me death" crowd... Go for it; you'll be shown the door. CSRs don't have the ability to decide to ship new or reman and they are unlikely to in the future; for the reason I state above. DISH deals primarily in reman, deal with it. It saves money and they're just as reliable (well as reliable as any other electronic device) overall .

BS, and I have a refurbished bridge to sell you.

If their record is so great and refurbished are as reliable as new, then there nothing to expose to Directv, everybody would be proud of it!

Half the problem is they are sent ups. They get banged around much more than one off of a techs van. Seen it many times with shipped receivers. They don't handle them carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

BS, and I have a refurbished bridge to sell you.

If their record is so great and refurbished are as reliable as new, then there nothing to expose to Directv, everybody would be proud of it!

And that's exactly the type of argument they can't respond to. Receivers do die, that's just the fact of being an electronic device. Would you want your competitor to know exactly how many receivers do die, which will then likely show up in their ad campaigns? DISH is damned if they do, damned if they don't reply to the new vs. reman argument. But history shows they'd rather you leave than provide potential ammunition to Direct.

Additionally, your "refurbished bridge" comment shows that you're not even receptive to the possibility that it might be true. That demonstrates short of you standing on their repair center floor, there's nothing anyone, including DISH can say to change your mind. So they simply won't try.

You can't educate or have a conversation with someone who already reached a conclusion before the discussion started.

I am not talking about premature death of electronic equipment, we are talking about DOA receivers or receiver functions that don't work on arrival as they should. It seems that they are transferring existing problems from one customer to another customer.

If Directv needs any ammunition against Dish, all they need to do is read this websites to find out about Dish's "perfect" refurbished equipment.

They do, those are the actual numbers. People just continue to whine perpetuating the myth that refurbs fail more often. They don't... They have been just as solid as new for several years. Here's the burn though, DISH can prove it, but that would require publicly releasing hard numbers for how many actually do have issues. They can't prove it to you without exposing themselves to Directv, and so the myth of new vs. reman will continue.

As far as the "give me new or give me death" crowd... Go for it; you'll be shown the door. CSRs don't have the ability to decide to ship new or reman and they are unlikely to in the future; for the reason I state above. DISH deals primarily in reman, deal with it. It saves money and they're just as reliable (well as reliable as any other electronic device) overall .

Are you kidding me? How about this for a myth. I received a replacement 722 and it still had dozens of recorded shows fro the original owner still on the hard drive. The unit was filthy and had several dents on it. The only check out this unit received was maybe if they threw it in a cage of chimps and let them play with it for a day.

Are you kidding me? How about this for a myth. I received a replacement 722 and it still had dozens of recorded shows fro the original owner still on the hard drive. The unit was filthy and had several dents on it. The only check out this unit received was maybe if they threw it in a cage of chimps and let them play with it for a day.

Okay. The topic is about receivers not being tested and remans failing more often; not the condition of the equipment at the time you receive it. Nothing in your above post suggests the unit failed to function as intended; only that you found it dirty and that it hadn't been wiped.

Zero, unless they put new HDDs in each refurb, isn't it more likely the refurb is going to fail sooner than a new unit. Same with the problematic HDMI connectors.

Not necessarily; it depends on how often the hard drive has been functional (in-use, not just idle), how far it traveled to get where it's been and how many "shocks" it has taken along the way. In theory, every hour the hard drive is functional the unit is more likely to fail. That said, this statement is true of every hard drive product, from receivers to iPads. Hard drives absolutely are tested and replaced if found not to function optimally. This is the prime reason retailers aren't supposed to take any DVR from one home and activate it on another. They're supposed to send them back for testing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts