Replacement Smartcard for 508

Jim West

Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
I just bought a used 508 without the card. I figured I'd switch the existing card from my 500 to the 508 and give Dish a call. Now they tell me it requires a new card from them and it costs $60. Seems very steep for an existing customer, when they give it all away for new customers.

Is there any work around or cheaper place to buy a card ?

Jim West
jimwest@iquest.net

Nope. The whole point of smartcards is E* security, meaning smartcards can only be authorized by E*. Moreover, smartcards are receiver dependent, meaning one smartcard will not work except in one particular receiver. You shouldn't have bought a receiver without a smartcard, since they cost so much to replace. You can buy used receivers, but always get the smartcard and receiver serial numbers and check those out with E* before you buy. If there is any outstanding balance on the smartcard account, you'll have a hard time activating it.

Should be able to stick a blue card in it from another receiver, and activate it. From there, it may take a few weeks but Dish should send you a yellow card!!!!

The key is the other card cannot be on an active account and cannot owe a past due ballance.

Claude Greiner said:
Should be able to stick a blue card in it from another receiver, and activate it. From there, it may take a few weeks but Dish should send you a yellow card!!!!

The key is the other card cannot be on an active account and cannot owe a past due ballance.

Thats what Dish told me as well, I'm selling 2 used recievers with blue cards. Dish told me they would send yellow ones out to whoever buys it, Dish is still in the process of replacing the blue ones with yellow ones according to the adv tech.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts