Replacement VIP211K won't show previous DVR shows

jscud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Central NH
My daughter had to replace her silver VIP211. Dish sent a VIP211K. The old VIP211 had the DVR function activated and the new VIP211K does have DVR functionality. The problem is that all of the shows previously recorded by the old VIP211 show up, but can't be played. If she tries, the screen goes black. After a few seconds the title shows up on the black screen. Then it goes back to the original screen saying time left 0.00. New recordings work perfectly. She has cold rebooted many times. Any ideas?

I believe only the DVR's built into the receiver are allowed to play back on a different receiver. With the replacement 211K you start from scratch.

My daughter had to replace her silver VIP211. Dish sent a VIP211K. The old VIP211 had the DVR function activated and the new VIP211K does have DVR functionality. The problem is that all of the shows previously recorded by the old VIP211 show up, but can't be played. If she tries, the screen goes black. After a few seconds the title shows up on the black screen. Then it goes back to the original screen saying time left 0.00. New recordings work perfectly. She has cold rebooted many times. Any ideas?
I had the same problem using an external hard drive to transfer recordings from my old ViP722k to my Hopper. Is there any way to make these events playable after they get "black-screened?"

Call DISH and ask them to refresh your account. They will resend the information about your account to your receivers. I don't remember reading any posts that if you get a new 211 then watch previously recorded material on an external hard drive on the new 211 it won't work.
If you call DISH only ask to have the refresh questions should go to DIRT if you want the best chance for correct answers.

It definitely works moving hard drives between different 211K units on the same account. Must be something in the old 211 version causing the issue.

DIRT member MikeH sent an Authorization Hit to all receivers to allow the pass-key to transfer over from the old 211 to the replacement. It works now. Yeah!
Thanks Mike

Reactions: yomama and TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)