Replacements for MPEG-2 4900 and 510

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

disharoni

Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
USA
Hello!

I received a letter in the mail that my old 4900 and 510 receivers are being phased out and need to be replaced.

What hardware is Dish currently using to replace these models?
I also have a 722K receiver and a Eastern Arc antenna in addition to the old 500 antenna.
Is it possible to ask for HD capable receivers to replace the old? Is the 510 replaced with another receiver with DVR? Is there a limit to the # of DVR's you can have on an account?

What's the deal with MPEG-4 vs 8PSK? Should I be asking for a MPEG-4 receiver to replace my old boxes?

The newbie thanks you!!

IIRC Dish is replacing your 4900 with a 311, and your 510 with a 512, both of which are 8PSK-capable but not mpeg-4 receivers. If you want the latter, then you will have to upgrade along with another 2-yr commitment.

The question is what does Dish have as your "official" system on your account. I don't think you are an official Eastern Arc customer, are you? It sounds like you are officially a Western Arc subscriber. If you are an official EA subscriber who did not DIY the install, you shouldn't have any MPEG2 boxes on your account, UNLESS, again, you DIY'ed the Dish 500 as Dish would have taken the old Dish 500 or charged you if you kept it when they did the EA install unless you paid retail for the Dish 500. More detail about your install and who performed and owns them and and what boxes are looking at what sat via your two reflectors would be great.

For EA subs, all boxes MUST be MPEG4 as the SD and HD EA services are all (with a few exceptions) MPEG4 encoded 8PSK. Therefore, if Dish needs a sub to be migrated to the EA, Dish will replace all MPEG2 boxes with MPEG4 boxes and install an EA system ONLY if Dish does something that now requires you to look at the EA for all the services you are getting today.

All WA subscribers will have their old Standard Def QPSK boxes exchanged for Standard Def 8PSK boxes at no charge.

Dish is only makes "like" box replacements and NO upgrades at their cost. If you wish to upgrade your SD boxes to HD, you will have to pay for the upgrade or at least meet the terms for a DUI upgrade.

It sounds like you may have DIY'd unless Dish did this dual Arc install for you, which I doubt because they would have taken the old MPEG2 boxes and replaced them for you.

Hello!

I received a letter in the mail that my old 4900 and 510 receivers are being phased out and need to be replaced.

What hardware is Dish currently using to replace these models?
I also have a 722K receiver and a Eastern Arc antenna in addition to the old 500 antenna.
Is it possible to ask for HD capable receivers to replace the old? Is the 510 replaced with another receiver with DVR? Is there a limit to the # of DVR's you can have on an account?

What's the deal with MPEG-4 vs 8PSK? Should I be asking for a MPEG-4 receiver to replace my old boxes?

The newbie thanks you!!

If you PM your phone number or account number, I can get you more details on getting new receivers.

Matt,

Two of my neighbors have legacy receivers that they own. One has the 4900 with a grandfathered "Locals only" package and the other has a 301 with the "Welcome Pack". Will they need to get new receivers? If so, will Dish make they purchase new ones?

John

Matt,

Two of my neighbors have legacy receivers that they own. One has the 4900 with a grandfathered "Locals only" package and the other has a 301 with the "Welcome Pack". Will they need to get new receivers? If so, will Dish make they purchase new ones?

John

Yes, eventually they will need to be replaced with 8PSK receivers, but they will not have to purchase them. We will replace their receivers with 311/311k's, and the status will be the same as the receiver that is being replaced (purchased)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)