replacing C-band dish panels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
How difficult is it to replace the panels on a dish that's still mounted? Mine's a KTI-12.

Reactions: mr3p
How difficult is it to replace the panels on a dish that's still mounted? Mine's a KTI-12.

There were at least two 12-foot models made by KTI. Is yours a four panel sectional, or does it have 18 separate ribs? If the latter, you probably also have an inner and an outer mesh panel. For full access and ease of removal and reinstallation of mesh pieces, I would suggest disconnecting and safely securing the motor drive out of harm's way. Rotate for full east or full west on the polar mount as needed to reach all working areas.

There were at least two 12-foot models made by KTI. Is yours a four panel sectional, or does it have 18 separate ribs? If the latter, you probably also have an inner and an outer mesh panel. For full access and ease of removal and reinstallation of mesh pieces, I would suggest disconnecting and safely securing the motor drive out of harm's way. Rotate for full east or full west on the polar mount as needed to reach all working areas.

18 ribs. The top mesh panels would probably be the most difficult even with my 12 foot ladder. I won't be able to replace all the mesh panels since I don't have a complete set and having panels fabricated is too expensive. I might just live with the dish as-is since I still get good performance or I might replace the whole dish. It might end up being too expensive of a venture. Hail is a real pain.

18 ribs. The top mesh panels would probably be the most difficult even with my 12 foot ladder. I won't be able to replace all the mesh panels since I don't have a complete set and having panels fabricated is too expensive. I might just live with the dish as-is since I still get good performance or I might replace the whole dish. It might end up being too expensive of a venture. Hail is a real pain.
Disconnect the elevation rod, and flip the dish up like a birdbath while you replace panels. Fix it that way as best you can, so it doesn't do something you don't want while working on it. Then, rest a heavy flat piece of metal on the dents, with a body hammer underneath to flatten them back out as best you can.

I've done it, and it can help quite a bit, depending if they aren't stretched too far.

Disconnect the elevation rod, and flip the dish up like a birdbath while you replace panels. Fix it that way as best you can, so it doesn't do something you don't want while working on it. Then, rest a heavy flat piece of metal on the dents, with a body hammer underneath to flatten them back out as best you can.

I've done it, and it can help quite a bit, depending if they aren't stretched too far.

Sounds like a lot of work. I might get started on this tomorrow but I doubt I'll finish with another storm due late tomorrow afternoon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)