Replacing Hard Drive in 722

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
I own my 722 and it is out of warranty, I will be leasing a 922 when available so I want to deactivate the 722 and use as a home entertainment device without paying any fees. I want to load it up with as many movies as possible, what is the largest hard drive that I can put in it? I've replaced Hd's in PC's and notebooks, is this any more difficult? does anyone have a link for a step by step procedure? and also a link for a suitable HD? thanks for any help.

There is a particular type of HD that must go in the 722. Do a search for 722 Hard Drive. There is a list around here some where.

Edit: Found it. Seagate ST3500830SCE. Probably won't be easy to find. Google it.

thanks for the info. I did a search and found it for $250 but it is the same size so I change it to ST3750830SCE and found this DVRupgrade | My Cart I don't think it will be worth it for 50% more space. I have been replacing as many movies that I can find in mpeg 4 so I'm able to get alot more than I used too, so that will have to do.

Still may not work

thanks for the info. I did a search and found it for $250 but it is the same size so I change it to ST3750830SCE and found this DVRupgrade | My Cart I don't think it will be worth it for 50% more space. I have been replacing as many movies that I can find in mpeg 4 so I'm able to get alot more than I used too, so that will have to do.

There are HDD's that are approved and those that are not. Yours may or may not work. It isn't like a windows PC that will just say OK and use it. It is linux and the new HDD just may not be compatible with linux and the s/w that E* has put into the system.

It's NOT a compatibility issue with the operating system (Linux), it's the Dish-specific firmware that looks for certain model numbers of drives and only allows you to use them.

Why don't you put your content on an external drive? Is it known that deactivating a receiver causes the EHD function to stop working?

I was aware of that, that's why I wanted a larger HD. I just wanted to have as many movies on the 722 that I could. It would be able to play all the content on it's internal drive without having to hook up to any dish, kinda like a great big pocket dish with no screen. I could take it on my trips to the in laws who only have basic cable and hook it up to a tv there . I have a 522 that I used that way for over a year when it was deactivated, I still have stuff on that that can't be replaced.

There are several threads that address replacing the HHD in a 722 but I did not have any luck with either a Western digital with exact model but end suffix (in fine print) slightly different or a Seagate of the exact model shown on the approved list. Some have successfully upgraded the 622 to the 722 size but going over 500 gig might be a problem to find something approved and that would work.
Also, are you sure the 722 will play back recordings without authorized signal input being connected?

Probably just one D300 dish pointed to any Dish sat will allow you to play old recordings; there was extensive discussion about the chance - use 622/722 after desub - if you'll find the threads here, you'll know for sure.

I know for sure the 522 was able to work for over a year that way , I did disconnect it before I called in to deactivate first. I remember that when I turned it on it would say something like it needs to be connected but I just hit the dvr button and had my movies there to watch. I also had a 622 that work that way too for a short time till reactivated, on that one I did have it deactivated while connected and it was able to also have a few channels to watch. I would think it would always have the ability to view your recorded content, since you need that ability when you have rain fade and other signal issues, so I don't think there's a way to disable that function. This is my main reason for owning rather than leasing, so I don't lose all the shows that I build up when I buy the next model. Hopefully the 922 will be able to play all the stuff I currently have on my EHD's.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I understood that a 722 is nothing more than a door stop without a subscription to programming.
I'm not any kind of electronic expert or any thing but I would think the only way to make it a doorstop would be to program it to phone home based on an internal clock when it is disconnected. Of course that would mean it would have to have an internal clock with a battery. I don't believe there are any.

defdude you are corect you can paly dvr stuff with no sat signal but to take advantage of the external HD it must have signal once it locks and dose the EPG DL then you can start exturnal HD transfer/play and remove the sat signal.. I wuld also like to get a larger HD in my 722K so i dont have to burn out my arcive usb disks

I really think you'll be happier just selling it. Sooner or later, you'll have a problem playing back movies. The device was not intended to be used as you plan, nor is such supported.

I really think you'll be happier just selling it. Sooner or later, you'll have a problem playing back movies. The device was not intended to be used as you plan, nor is such supported.

If it goes bad I will still have the content backed up on the EHD'S I have now. It's only about a year old so if it last's as long as my 522 I'll be happy, I bought that about 3 or 4 years ago and it still works fine. by doing this I will save over $120 " $5 additional rec. + $5 dvr fee + tax" a year to have a HD dvr for the family room. I can always activate it for a day or so to add new stuff. I'm not sure if it will still get OTA, that would be a bonus, even with out the PG still worth the effort. Does anybody know for sure whether or not you can get OTA on a deactivated receiver that is either connected or not connected to a dish ? I know you can get some public interest channels off the dish sat if it is connected, I think when I tried OTA on a deactivated 622 it didn't work but it's been awhile so I'm not sure. It wasn't hooked up to the dish because I was afraid they would send a hit to it and disable all functions so I didn't try hard.

Eastern Arc Dish Info & Install Guide

Dish Network HD Concert Series Details

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts