Replacing our AV receiver

Discussion in 'A/V Receivers, Amplifiers and Speakers' started by Neutron, Dec 27, 2016.

1. We have a 9 year old Onkyo TXSR505 that has bitten the dust so I just picked up a Sony STRDH550 that was open box on sale for $129.

Does anyone else have this receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

2. Well that sucks. It won't pass 4K content like it advertises.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

3. It will pass UHD -- just not HDCP 2.2 protected UHD (that pretty much all but YouTube are covered by).

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for at the $150 price point. I expect that you're looking at something at or above the Onkyo TX-SR353 for $199 (a pretty swingin' deal at Amazon) depending on your needs.

4. Accessories4less has the Denon AVR-S510BT for $200 but it is a refurbished unit. That will give you HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 but probably on one HDMI port. Amp power is comparable to Onkyo TX-NR5xx series and probably more than the Sony. Only thing about A4L is that they are only covered for one year and buying an extended warranty will put you close to retail price on the S510BT.

5. The AVR-S510BT is a very basic design and HDCP 2.2 is probably the only advantage over the Sony. If you're limited to 5.1, it will probably suffice. The Denon does HDCP on three of the five HDMI inputs.

The Onkyo does HDCP on all four of its inputs and it features a coaxial digital input that the Denon mysteriously lacks (coaxial offers greater bandwidth and is required for >DD5.1 sound).

Both of these guys are basement dwellers of their respective product lines but they will inter-operate with HDCP 2.2.

6. Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Neutron, were you ever able to find a receiver that did what you needed?

I picked up an Onkyo TX-NR656 for under $400 at Crutchfield. It may be last years model, but I'm really impressed with the network capabilities (I like it better than the Denon AVR I set up for a friend) and it does all the video conversion to HDMI so we can still support the older technology in our vacation home. The recent download added Chromecast capabilities, too, in addition to AirPlay and Bluetooth. Plus, three of the HDMI inputs support HDCP 2.2 and HDMI passthrough when powered off.