Replacment Hopper Caller ID Failure

Barry Erick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Dallas
A few months ago I received a replacement hopper and ever since, I have to hit the red reset to get Caller ID working. This is a real pain as we rely on it to screen calls and it is not until it is not working do we realized that we have a problem. I look at Caller ID settings and it is always ON. I even tried turning it off, Hitting Save,m exiting and going back into the settings and turning it on, and hitting save. Also a check of the phone line always shows it is ok even if Caller ID is not working.

Our AT&T phones don't light the display unless you anser the phone. Very hard to see when a call comes in. That is why we rely on the Dish Solution. It is NOT like my hammer keeps missing the nail.

Once in a great while, ID stops showing. I reset both Hopper and Joey and it is fine for some time.

On my Hopper without Sling, the caller ID works some days and dies after the first call other days. If I don't reset it, the nightly housekeeping gets it running again for the next morning. This all started happening after the famous update just before Thanksgiving.

Dave

On my Hopper without Sling, the caller ID works some days and dies after the first call other days. If I don't reset it, the nightly housekeeping gets it running again for the next morning. This all started happening after the famous update just before Thanksgiving.

Dave
No, you're too quick to blame all ills on it. Been going on since July for me, when I first got HWS. Start transferring your recordings and get a replacement!

Last edited:
Installed a HWS today and although the phone line was connected I couldn't get it to test ok - kept coming back busy for some odd reason. The lady kept asking about it but all I could do was point it out and just explain it wasn't something I could control. Crap like this I sure as hell hope flags on a CSR's desktop to say do NOT trouble call this person cause of these reasons due to software related issues.

Installed a HWS today and although the phone line was connected I couldn't get it to test ok - kept coming back busy for some odd reason. The lady kept asking about it but all I could do was point it out and just explain it wasn't something I could control. Crap like this I sure as hell hope flags on a CSR's desktop to say do NOT trouble call this person cause of these reasons due to software related issues.

Did you have a phone line tester? Sounds like red and green may have been swapped. Some equipment "notices."

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Caller ID has been a real pain since S330 arrived on my two HoppersWsling. Usually doesn't work except one time after a reboot.

I had a customer with the same problem so I stopped by to check it out. When it didn't display I went into the Caller ID History Menu option and the list was blank. I exited out and went back in and the list was populated and the Caller ID display worked again.

Did you have a phone line tester? Sounds like red and green may have been swapped. Some equipment "notices."

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Didn't need to use a phone line tester when I know it worked on the 722 I removed as when I was looking at the TV the phone rang and it came right up.

FYI, no, the CSRs won't see anything that says to not troubleshoot it or set up a trouble call. I am not at work (it's 4:15 am), but I don't recall seeing that the troubleshooting flow for Caller ID not working ever calls for a tech. Pretty sure it calls for sending a replacement receiver to the customer. I know that some advanced tech agents have submitted to engineering that caller ID can be iffy, and they were told that no, caller ID works just fine (this was some time ago, not related to the latest Hopper software).

I hope the latest software update fixes it. Honestly, I wish Dish would stop offering it as a feature until it's less buggy.

Caller ID has never worked on any of my Hoppers.
I have never called Dish or Verizon Wireless to troubleshoot the problem.
Doesn't matter which cell phone rings, no caller ID.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)