Weather Nation

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
I read that Direct has added Weather Nation in HD which is the weather service that Dish added briefly during their fee fight with the Weather Channel.
Weather Nation doesn't have content such as "storm stories" and the like but is superior to the Weather Channel in that it provides local forecasts, something the Weather Channel and Dish have long promised but never delivered.

I’d be willing to wager that the Weather Channel cut a favorable deal with Dish in return for keeping the Weather Nation channel off of Dish.
Am I correct or am I missing something?

DISH never kept their promise to deliver Local on the 8s...which should be renamed LOCAL ON SOME OF THE 8S. They also never kept their promise to "roll out" WEATHERSCAN. I know they offered it to a few cities...whether they still offer it and whatever happened to their "plan" is a mystery. Local or regional WEATHERSCAN which is live 24-7 without commercials would be better than WeatherNation, but we've learned not to expect much from DISH on this issue.

I’d be willing to wager that the Weather Channel cut a favorable deal with Dish in return for keeping the Weather Nation channel off of Dish.
Am I correct or am I missing something?
No doubt something like that happened ! Charlie used Weather Nation to force TWC's hand....

What's the big deal though ? On VIP and Hopper receivers, you can get "local" weather with beautiful, 90's era graphics !! And I never realized this until Dish educated me, but "local" weather radar should have always included ALL of the midwest, not just a ~50-mile radius. No one wants to see more detailed resolution for local info, of course ! :confused:

I discovered Weather Nation on one of my local Atlanta digital sub channels...love it even tho its not in HD. They stay focused on weather and we have the local forecast every 5 min or so....kind of reminds me of what TWC used to be like and what most of us want out of a weather channel. I never watch TWC anymore as the NBC connection has ruined it IMO :rolleyes:

Amazing that no one questions Charlie about him lying to his subscribers when it comes to the locals on the 8's he promised years ago. Seems he's not getting his feet held to the fire concerning the missing abc/espn hd feeds either.

Amazing that no one questions Charlie about him lying to his subscribers when it comes to the locals on the 8's he promised years ago. Seems he's not getting his feet held to the fire concerning the missing abc/espn hd feeds either.
:facepalm

Amazing that no one questions Charlie about him lying to his subscribers when it comes to the locals on the 8's he promised years ago.
I'd have thought that you were new around here.... This is appropriate too - local weather on Dish became this a long time ago :deadhorse:

Sure do wish Dish would add Weather Nation like Directv did.
The weather channel does show much real weather newscasts anymore.

I don't used WC for local weather. I go to the Weather page of one of my local TV stations. I get up to the minute Doppler radar and any storm warnings. Much more up to date than WC.
And since your posting here, you must have iunternet access so go to your local TV stations weather page.
Weather Nation has no interest from me.

I get 95% of our weather online.Whether it's noaa,accuweather,raysweather,or some of the android weather apps,I haven't turned TWC on in nearly 2 years.I can see the radar when I choose,instead of having to wait for TWC to show it.

I also get most of my weather online. You can look at radar and warnings (and facebook posts if you add the newschannels or your local station's weather to your facebook) and get most of the information that you need.

When Weather Nation was on Dish to replace Weather Channel it was not up to date. I remember reading the posts on here regarding that and the main weatherman Paul Douglas cursing on the air getting mad because things were not working right (it was posted on youtube). They had some pretty decent graphics though. Are they better than this now?

Weather Nation fires up in the Buffalo, NY DMA on 1/1/2014 on OTA Digital Channel 2.2. It will be available on Time Warner Cable and FIOS. It will be handy for those who only have access to OTA television.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts