Reply from DN concerning VOOM

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Here is the reply I got from Dish Network concerning the loss of VOOM channels:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your e-mail. Effective immediately the VOOM HD line-up can no longer be viewed by our customers. DISH Network continues to be the leader in providing the best movies, sports and entertainment in High Definition. In order to provide you with top quality entertainment, DISH Network continually evaluates and at times, makes changes to our channel line-up. We plan to use this opportunity to introduce exciting new HD channels offering a breadth and depth of programming that better complements our already robust HD offerings.
DISH Network understands it may feel like DISH is removing your favorite programming, but check out the comparable HD programming that is available!
VOOM Channel
Alternative Programming
Channel #
Monsters HD
Chiller (Only available in SD)
Rave HD
MHD
Rush HD
Universal HD, HD Net
9427, 9422
Specific HD Movies
HD Net Movies, Universal HD, and Premiums in HD
9423, 9427

Also check out the following exciting new channels that will be available in the DISH HD Package!
· ABC Family HD (DISH Network Ch. 180)
· Biography HD (Ch. 119)
· Bravo HD (Ch. 129)
· Cartoon HD (Ch. 176)
· Cinemax 5 Star (Ch. 381)
· Cinemax HD West (Ch. 380)
· Comcast Sports Network Bay Area HD (Ch. 419)*
· Comcast Sports Network New England HD (Ch. 435)*
· CNBC HD (Ch. 208)
· CNN HD (Ch. 200)
· Disney HD East (Ch. 172)
· ESPNews HD (Ch. 142)
· Hallmark Movie Channel HD (Ch. 187)
· MGM HD (Ch. 385)
· Sci Fi HD (Ch. 122)
· Smithsonian HD (Ch. 374)
· Tennis Channel HD (Ch. 400)
· Toon Disney HD (Ch. 174)
· Travel Channel HD (Ch. 215)
· USA HD (Ch. 105)
· Weather Channel HD (Ch. 214)
· World Fishing Network HD (Ch. 396)

*Launch Wednesday, May 14

Watch for even more high definition channels over the upcoming weeks as DISH Network grows to over 100 national HD channels by end of year. For additional information please visit HYPERLINK "http://www.dishnetwork.com/HDupdate"www.DishNetwork.com/HDupdate. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer.

If you still wish to end your service, please know that for security reasons, we are unable to disconnect accounts via email. Please call 1-800-333-3474 to disconnect through a customer service representative, who will go over disconnection options and final disclosures with you.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to DISH Network -- Home or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

DISH Network E-Care

Your message:

Full Name: David Rinker
Account Number: 8255-

Question: Just wanted to say how dissapointed I am about the 10 VOOM channels being discontinued. My family watched these channels regularly and will greatly miss them. If DirecTV picks up these VOOM channels we will be sure to switch services.

So they basically answered your query with a press release. Nice. I'm sure at this point, they have those email replies automated so if any come in that mention Voom, they automatically send this without even reading them.

DISH Network understands it may feel like DISH is removing your favorite programming, but check out the comparable HD programming that is available!......... in other words if you dont like it tough sh**.

This is the most insulting thing I've ever seen. There is LESS programming, and I'm paying the same amount.

Now, they could legitimately say something like "Check out MGM-HD as a replacement for Film Fest. " It's still BS, but at least they took away one movie channel and added another to the same package. The logic is there. Actually, MGM has a lot of stuff that could have been on Monsters. They had The Thing With two Heads last night!

This is like removing EVERY news channel but Fox and saying "Well, just watch Fox." Meanwhile, I'm still paying for CNN and MSNBC.

"We removed ESPN, but NBC has sports on the weekend sometimes, just watch that. Oh, by the way, we had to raise your fees because ESPN is so expensive."

Actually, their arrogant attitude is more like "You'll watch Fox and you'll like it!. Now STFU!"

I feel like sending them a lie like "Well, I only watch Gallery HD" and see how they respond to that.

"As an alternative, why not...visit your local art museum!"

How is this a PR nightmare? How many people do you think actually noticed this? I can tell you all around me are dishes from DISH network and I have talked to them and you know what? Not one said a word about VOOM being gone. And the reality is check out any block with a bunch of dishes and you will find maybe one home in 20 or 30 that actually noticed VOOM was there in the first place.

How is this a PR nightmare? How many people do you think actually noticed this? I can tell you all around me are dishes from DISH network and I have talked to them and you know what? Not one said a word about VOOM being gone. And the reality is check out any block with a bunch of dishes and you will find maybe one home in 20 or 30 that actually noticed VOOM was there in the first place.

Thanks for microscopic sampling survey. Obviously Dish has been inundated with emails and calls, otherwise why would they take the time to create a generic response like that?

Please. Dish is a joke, screw 'em. Dish already sucked, now they suck even more.

Yeah, public relations doesn't enter into it. Although there have been negative articles in the press...just look up Voom on Google News.

It could be a customer service nightmare for them, though. How many people subscribe to HD Ultimate? What percentage of them would have bothered to put up an extra $10 just to get Universal, HD Net Movies and NHL Network? I'm willing to bet 80% of them did it for Voom. We are the ones who really got screwed. Dish HD Essentials got more HD and lost nothing. DishHD Only people traded some channels for some others. But Dish Ultimate lost a net 12 channels of programming. And we spend the most money.

The question is...80% of how many people? 500? 500,000?

This is a PR nightmare for them. Charlie could be out on the street holding a can in a few weeks.:)

Charlie made a smart move...or was at least advised to make a smart move. Do you think he makes these decisions without solid data backing them up?

As mentioned above, the vast (very vast) majority will like the change and the new channels added over what was on Voom. Dish knows exactly who is watching what and for how long...so they went with a better plan for MOST of the customers. If you fall into the small minority....well you are shafted.

We spend the big $. If 30%-50% of E*s HD subscribers are pissed they have a real problem.

Charlie made a smart move...or was at least advised to make a smart move. Do you think he makes these decisions without solid data backing them up?

As mentioned above, the vast (very vast) majority will like the change and the new channels added over what was on Voom. Dish knows exactly who is watching what and for how long...so they went with a better plan for MOST of the customers. If you fall into the small minority....well you are shafted.

Yeah, like all the other wise decisions that moron has made in the past. :rolleyes: If his "data" team is the same one he's been using, he will fail miserably (again) and frankly, I hope he does.

Thats your opinion on things-fine. I for one think the opposite and some people agree. Sure if you like sd labled as hd then great. Your probably happy.

What's the percentage of subs that are SD versus HD? 20 or 30 to 1?

Hey at least you got a reply. I didn't get NADA! Here was my message to ceo@echostar.com

You know several weeks ago in light of no new HD being added I signed up with Directv. I
kept Dish as I'm an 8 year customer and enjoyed the only thing Dish had to offer over
Directv, VOOM.

Now I see VOOM is dark. There is now no reason for me to remain a Dish customer. It's a
shame, you do realize that down the line when Dish, Direct, Fios, Cable have all the same
channels VOOM would have been the suite of channels to set Dish apart.

As evidenced by the overwhelming negative reaction to this in the satellite forums I am not
alone.

DISH Network understands it may feel like DISH is removing your favorite programming, but check out the comparable HD programming that is available!......... in other words if you dont like it tough sh**.
After Desert Storm I, the Kuwaiti Government commissioned a Liberation Medal and made them out of GOLD. We were given some kind of tin plated junk metal replacement and who knows where the gold medals went. "Here! This is the same thing! Wear it with pride!" :rolleyes:

I personally received the gold version of that medal that is on display. Your CO must have made some money or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)