Report: Blu-ray Disc Sales Impacting DVD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

teamerickson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
Report: Blu-ray Disc Sales Impacting DVD | High-Def Digest

Thanks to the demise of HD DVD and increased Blu-ray retail momentum, next-gen disc sales are starting to carve out a bigger slice of the home video pie, a new report suggests.

According to an analysis of Nielsen VideoScan First Alert numbers conducted by Home Media Magazine, Disney's Blu-ray chart-topper 'No Country for Old Men' drew 9.8 percent of its total unit sales from Blu-ray during its first five days in stores.

Faring even better was Fox's 'Hitman,' which saw 12.6 percent of total customers taking home the Blu-ray version during its first five days.

By comparison, high-def percentages during the height of the format war rarely topped 2 to 3 percent of a title's total disc sales. (Even 2007's biggest high-def seller, the HD DVD-only release of 'Transformers,' generated little more than 4 percent of its total unit sales from the next-gen version.)

Adams Media Research analyst Tom Adams cited a newfound sense of confidence among consumers as the main reason for Blu-ray's recent siege on DVD market share, as many of those previously waiting out the format war may now be willing to dip their toes in the Blu waters.

"Before, there was a tendency to play it safe and stick with the standard DVD," Adams said. "But now there's no longer anything to worry about."

Adams also expects to see Blu-ray disc sales continue to boom throughout the rest of calendar year, fueled by increasing penetration of Blu-ray hardware and sales of Sony's Blu-ray-driven PlayStation 3.

Ok, again I know this isn't the war zone. I have no doubt that the number of BD's is increasing. But...Percentage. What are the numbers of discs sold to reach that percentage? A title like No Country was an excellent movie but does not have the audience that a movie like Transformers would have.

S~

Ok, again I know this isn't the war zone. I have no doubt that the number of BD's is increasing. But...Percentage. What are the numbers of discs sold to reach that percentage? A title like No Country was an excellent movie but does not have the audience that a movie like Transformers would have.

S~

It sold under 1,000,000 on DVD.:eek:

I agree on the volume comment by teachsac, however I for one am buying more and going to the theater less. The money Ive spent on a tv and BD player makes me want to stay home(i ordered NCFOM two days ago along with Hitman). I spend $30 everytime I go, so if its a movie I would have went out and seen, I just buy it on BD.

I have a BD player and still only buy DVD for anyone in the family except myself. With the children's/family titles they have to be playable in the portable player for the car. No good way to do that now with BD, except maybe making a copy using the DVD burner. That's kind of a hassle, and the video quality is not very good.

I read that on highdefdigest a few days ago. I was thinking then that we should keep the war zone open for a future dvd vs. blu ray war zone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)