Report: Broadband based VOD coming this Winter

QCK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
As noted from TJ77 on the Canadian site:

Shaw Direct Continues to Transform Home Entertainment - MarketWatch

This winter Shaw Direct will again transform their customers' viewing experiences with the release of a new broadband Video on Demand portal, which will be accessible through all broadband Internet services exclusively to Shaw Direct customers. Customers will be able to access content directly on their computers through a dedicated website.

This winter Shaw Direct will again transform their customers' viewing experiences with the release of a new broadband Video on Demand portal, which will be accessible through all broadband Internet services exclusively to Shaw Direct customers. Customers will be able to access content directly on their computers through a dedicated website.

......if said "broadband Internet services" and/or "their computers" are not located outside Canada......??

As interesting as this sounds, does this "good news" really mean anything to southern subs? Of will it be like SRC's "Tou.tv" that, when you try to view the programming from the US, you get a nice black screen that says it's "for distribution within Canada only"? :rant:

Thanks QCK, for the post......I was going to post my question on the Canadian forum, but I figured I'd get a response such as, "You southern subs don't have a right to exist, anyway....", or something like that, so I decided against it.....

Last edited:
Really this is only VOD through your computer which is not the most popular thing for most of us anyway. If they do like Dish and Bell have done and start adding top rated movies in 1080P to your hard drive I might be more inclined to purchase a movie. It will be interesting to see, as you have noted joshuals, if we get the "for distribution within Canada only" notice or not.

If they do like Dish and Bell have done and start adding top rated movies.....

I'm not really familiar with what Dish and Bell do......are their offerings limited to movies (I say "limited" because I'm not a movie person :)) or will they offer real-time (or re-transmission of) prime-time programming, like SRC's "Tou.tv" does?

When I was in Quebec this summer I watched a lot of Tou.tv on rainy days.....they offer a lot of prime-time stuff that I may have missed, and series that they are no longer carrying in real-time. Nice idea.....but much, though not all, of the programming gets the ol' black screen once my IP address showed up to be back in the USA. :(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)