Does this sound fishy?

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
I have subscribed to Shaw since November through a broker in Quebec. Now, I have found that I watch it very rarely and see no sense in paying for it anymore, as I have not watched it in a couple of months. Now that I want to cancel, the broker tells me that I have to send one of my 630 PVRs that I bought and own back since I didn't keep service for a year. He tells me that there is "no contract" but I have to send him the receiver to "send" to Shaw since I didn't keep service for a year. When I wanted to add a third receiver, he said you could only have two and I ended up sending him a 605 that I don't think I should have. Now he wants my 630, and I am not that gullible. I have changed my credit card number that he and Shaw have access to. So, I guess I will get terminated by Shaw anyway when the card is declined. But this sounds bad fishy to me. Has anyone else heard of this?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have subscribed to Shaw since November through a broker in Quebec. Now, I have found that I watch it very rarely and see no sense in paying for it anymore, as I have not watched it in a couple of months. Now that I want to cancel, the broker tells me that I have to send one of my 630 PVRs that I bought and own back since I didn't keep service for a year. He tells me that there is "no contract" but I have to send him the receiver to "send" to Shaw since I didn't keep service for a year. When I wanted to add a third receiver, he said you could only have two and I ended up sending him a 605 that I don't think I should have. Now he wants my 630, and I am not that gullible. I have changed my credit card number that he and Shaw have access to. So, I guess I will get terminated by Shaw anyway when the card is declined. But this sounds bad fishy to me. Has anyone else heard of this?

It sounds strange to me
I understand you bought the equipments, you own it. That is my case as I also used a brkr there.
You can also check for experiences on the other cndn board, tried to send you a pm but still don´t find the option here.

There is a contract as best I can tell. I think he wanted the receiver and was going to pay Shaw for what is left on the contract and keep the extra. Those receivers sell on eBay for a pretty good price even used. I just dropped down to the English Essentials and one receiver until I have had it for a year, its not that bad. I wouldn't mind paying for it if I used it. But in two months I haven't even watched anything on it, so thats why I wanted to get rid of it.

There is a contract as best I can tell. I think he wanted the receiver and was going to pay Shaw for what is left on the contract and keep the extra. Those receivers sell on eBay for a pretty good price even used. I just dropped down to the English Essentials and one receiver until I have had it for a year, its not that bad. I wouldn't mind paying for it if I used it. But in two months I haven't even watched anything on it, so thats why I wanted to get rid of it.
I understood they admitted there was no contract, and you had already paid for the 630s. What $400 bucks each. That´s the price for purchasing the receiver.
http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/equipment/
It wouldn´t hurt to double check.

I'd call Shaw, tell them you bought the IRD on the internet and want to have the receiver ID checked out and see who's listed as the owner.

BTW, considering Shaw and Bell prefer paperless billing (they charge an extra for a monthly statement), am surprised any of you go through a broker.

The reason I have to use a broker is for a Canadian address. I don't know anyone in Canada to use their address.

We had Shaw for a year and it is true that if you cancel in under a year they will want the receiver back. This I was told directly from Shaw. I canceled my account over two years ago and I can't recall the exact reason for them wanting the receiver back but they do.

It depends what you have paid for the equipment. If you paid full price or used your own equipment you own it. But if you got it at a discounted price that Shaw has subsidized, then you have to send it back.
This won't happen much now since they started the rental program and jacked the retail prices up. They all have to go back if you cancel unless you do pay the exorbitant prices to own it.

I own my equipment because I bought one 630 from the classifieds here at the forum, and one from somebody in Quebec off of Kijiji.

Then you own them free and clear, no reason to send them any where. If you have paid your bill off with Shaw, they will be clear to re-sell and activate for someone else. If you know the details of your account, call Shaw directly to cancel the account. This Broker can not be trusted by the sounds of it.

I own my equipment because I bought one 630 from the classifieds here at the forum, and one from somebody in Quebec off of Kijiji.

So that means that you really own your equipment, I don´t see no reason for you to send your equipment back to the broker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts