Report on my install

menelfloss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
So here is how things went for me.
First: upgraded my SD DVR running 2 SD tv's to two 622 dvr's to run two new Sony Bravia LCD's..(wanted to be able to run two and record also).

The installer brought one 622 and a 722 because they were out of 622's (no extra charge for the 722)

He used HDMI cables to hook em up. They now have HDMI's interrupted in the middle with optional multi pin old type plugs.

He left all the xtra phone cable and component cables. Also left both old remotes from the SD dvr.

Installed the new dish, hooked it all up... evrything works fine. Picture quality looks pretty good, (not quite as good as my antenna, but that was to be expected)

Only dissapointment... The local PBS station which has 5 channels and some of the very best HD programming is not included in dish programming yet. :-(... Oh well, I will just need to use my antenna.

The installer asked what I paid for the DVR's and I told him that I paid $99.00 up front but was promised a rebate on each for $100.00.
His reply was that I must have really good credit. Sounded like not everybody is extended such good deals on pairs. I get 6mo. HD free and after that pay $20 more per month than I was paying for before this upgrade. I did sign for a 18month contract.

Thanks again to all that helped me in the process of figuring out what to do to upgrade to HD.

Mike in (burrrrrr) Minneapolis

Glad your install went smooth. Just curious. Did they supply you with the hdmi?? If they did. Did he say why he was using hdmi and not component to hook up your receivers?

Yes,
I had a pair of HDMI cables and when I asked him if he was using HDMI he not only said yes, he mentioned that somehow it had something to do with the Hollywood writers strike.
I'm guessing that there is a statement somewhere that discribes tv signal going through rf or something.

Who knows....The HDMI cables have a male to female DVI junction towards one end so they can be used to connect to TV's with DVI input.

Mike

i should call and complain about them not giving me an HDMI cable 3 weeks ago ;)

It is possible that DRM is cropping up in the new writers contracts they are working on, which could be bad for us.

I think the hdmi cable is up to the installer. I think most are getting them if they are getting installed from a retailer and Nothing if they get installed from a sub contractor.

The installer was from Dish and not a sub.
He was pretty good too I think. He complained a bit about the previous install, also from Dish.
No ground, pulled single wire not double, from my garage.
He pulled a new dual wire from my garage (about 50 feet from the house) to my house with slack so I could re-route this summer if I want. He had a good day though, it was up to 35 degrees that day and sunny. Today,... 15 below zero with a wind chill of 40 below. Not a good day to pull wire.

Mike

I think the hdmi cable is up to the installer. I think most are getting them if they are getting installed from a retailer and Nothing if they get installed from a sub contractor.

It even varies with the same installer. My mother had a 211 installed 3 weeks ago and the installer only had component cables. I ordered a pair from Meritline so I'd have one too for my upcoming 722 install. The same installer came to my house. I asked him if he had a HDMI cable and he said sure. Got the same one described above with DVI connections in the middle. Must have fun pulling that one when the TV is wall mounted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts