Report: When iPad 3 is Released, Apple Could Offer iPad 2 For as Low as $299

Headline should be 'Apple makes plans to kill resales as iPad 3 is released' :p

My iPad is the first thing I've considered doing the whole upgrade routine that I know many people that do... selling one device to get the new shinier version. If I can sell my 32gb and get a newer iPad 3 for just a couple hundred $$, I'd do it. Makes it a little harder if you can just get them from Apple brand new though :p

Headline should be 'Apple makes plans to kill resales as iPad 3 is released' :p

My iPad is the first thing I've considered doing the whole upgrade routine that I know many people that do... selling one device to get the new shinier version. If I can sell my 32gb and get a newer iPad 3 for just a couple hundred $$, I'd do it. Makes it a little harder if you can just get them from Apple brand new though :p

Agreed. Since my iPad was bought in November, I was thinking the same thing.

Of course, if they sell the iPad 2 for $300, that will be the death blow to all of the competition. Amazon will practically have to give the Fire away.

Fire could be the 'starter drug' tablet-wise for future refurb/'fire sale' iPad 2 owners if this pans out to be true. For those that were coaxed into the tablet market by an impulse purchase of a Fire, a $299 iPad 2 could be the next logical step.

<offtopic>

Can only imagine imagine how well a $99-$150 Fire would do though? With a more powerful 10" model at $299? I wonder how well it's doing as a content portal for Amazon stuff too. Wife absolutely loves hers, but it drives me a little crazy compared to how smooth my Nexus is.

</offtopic>

I have a WiFi only iPad 1. I don't think I would sell this and get a comparable iPad 2 for a few hundred more. I don't think I will even upgrade to an iPad3. If I do upgrade my iPad it will be for one that gets 3G mainly so I can use the GPS APPs on it.

I don't see myself ever tying a data plan to a tablet at the current prices. Now that I have my Nexus my iPad usage has plummeted. Haven't even bothered to root and get tether working again yet.

I could see myself sticking to an iPad 2, it's hard to imagine a 3 at retina resolution, seems a bit excessive at that size. Can only imagine what pixel quadrupled iPhone apps will look like on it.

I have no plans for an iPad 3, but will wait to see what it looks like when it comes out. Pretty happy with the iPad 2. Fast, powerful, does pretty much everything I could ask of it.

rockymtnhigh said:
I have no plans for an iPad 3, but will wait to see what it looks like when it comes out. Pretty happy with the iPad 2. Fast, powerful, does pretty much everything I could ask of it.

I gonna take bets on this post. ;):)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I don't see myself ever tying a data plan to a tablet at the current prices. Now that I have my Nexus my iPad usage has plummeted. Haven't even bothered to root and get tether working again yet.

I could see myself sticking to an iPad 2, it's hard to imagine a 3 at retina resolution, seems a bit excessive at that size. Can only imagine what pixel quadrupled iPhone apps will look like on it.
I'll never get the data plan. I just want the device to be 3G so I will be able to run some of the GPS APPs

I skipped the upgrade from 1 to 2. I will be upgrading to the 3 for the much talked about higher resolution display.

I gonna take bets on this post. ;):)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It depends. Saving money on a new macbook pro, so funds will be tight. And I am waiting for the spring 2012 refresh on the mbp's. :D

Of course, if I can sell my iPad 2 for 75% of its cost, who knows. :)

Rumor gaining traction:

Is A $299 iPad On The Horizon? | Cult of Mac

But again, its a rumor. And I suspect the reality is we are talking the 16GB iPad 2. Add in the normal price differentials for 3G, and for 32GB/64GB models. Still, my wife is quite content with her 16GB wifi iPad 2. And I would have been much more content paying $300 for it instead of $500.

I see. Thanks.
Even though it doesn't use 3G service, the 3G devices do have GPS; the WiFi only ones do not. Since most of the GPS APPs use pre-installed maps and location based on GPS, you do not need to use 3G service for it to map your current location.

I use GPS APPs on my phone all of the time when I am completely out of range of any service and it still works fine. I even took out my SimCard once to see if the APPs will still work without it, and it did.

The Skiing APP I use, SkiTracks, does an excellent job of mapping all of my runs when I am skiing at resorts where there is no service of any sort.

When I use the RunKepper APP I turn off my 3G antenna to save the battery and so I do not get calls interrupting the APP or my music while I am working out. Still maps my workout perfectly. The weird thing is if I turn of the WiFi antenna, then I will lose the GPS signal.

rocky,

if they keep putting out the same rumor it might eventually come true.

I personally doubt they'll keep ipad2 around long. apple tends to preserve their high margins on their products and this would be counter to that strategy.

i could see this as a strategy to compete with the lower cost products like the Kindle fire / nook Tablet where price is very important.

we will see soon enough what's going to happen.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

rocky,

if they keep putting out the same rumor it might eventually come true.

I personally doubt they'll keep ipad2 around long. apple tends to preserve their high margins on their products and this would be counter to that strategy.

i could see this as a strategy to compete with the lower cost products like the Kindle fire / nook Tablet where price is very important.

we will see soon enough what's going to happen.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

The rumor is coming out of China.

I wasn't saying I did not expect the iPad 3 this year; just that I don't expect an iPad 3 and an iPad 4 within six months; same as last year's iad 2/iPad 3 rumors. And the iPad 2 discounted would compete extremely well with the Fire.

One day there will be a high res iPad, and probably a low cost iPad. The question is of course in which year will this happen. I would like to see it this year...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)