GEOSATpro Request For a utility to Convert the Recorded Files to a Single File Format

Larry1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Port Hope, ON Canada
My microHD is working great recording my TV shows (thank you for a great product) but I would like to request a utility for Windows to convert the recorded shows to a standard, single file format. If I look in the recorded directory, there are .ts, .dvr and info3.dvr files. So far I have had great success in binary copying the .ts files together for editing in a Windows program. (VideoReDo) I have been using a dos prompt and adding them together. e.g. copy /b 000.ts+001.ts+002.ts output.ts
This however is cumbersome, and may not be the proper way to join the files together. What are the different files in the recording directory for and what do the different files contain? Do you have, or can you create/provide a Windows utilty to convert the recording to a single file format that can be edited by a Windows video editor?

The microHD DVR feature is primarily developed for playback within the STB, but as a side benefit it provides a standard format file for external usage. We do not have the resources or recognize a need to provide a branded solution for a secondary purposing. There are so many PC and Mac utilities available for automated file joining, manipulation, transcoding and playback. Maybe some members will comment on solutions that they use and rate the solution.

The only file(s) needed for recording playout is the .ts file.

If I look in the recorded directory, there are .ts, .dvr and info3.dvr files. So far I have had great success in binary copying the .ts files together for editing in a Windows program. (VideoReDo)

No need to copy multiple files to a single file for VideoReDo. In VideoReDo click Open Video, select drive and directory, hold down the Ctrl Key and click the desired files then click Open. A box will open, select Combine files. VideoReDo will then open to the main editing screen and you are ready to edit your video.

You may have or know this but just in case, for MPEG-4 files you will need VideoReDo TVSuite H.264

"No need to copy multiple files to a single file for VideoReDo. In VideoReDo click Open Video, select drive and directory, hold down the Ctrl Key and click the desired files then click Open. A box will open, select Combine files. VideoReDo will then open to the main editing screen and you are ready to edit your video."

Works great, just what I was wanting. I already have the H.264 version of VideoReDo, great program, just had not used the combine function before. I have used the video joiner before, but that was far too many steps. This simplifies things a lot as I would load the video into VideoReDo for editing after adding the pieces together.

If you just want to play them back from a HDD the VLC utility will stack all the parts in a playlist and play in order

I've been using Handbrake to convert the .ts files into .mp4 format and dump the output directly to the hard drive in the AzBox through the LAN. Works well just takes time on high bitrate streams. Recorded some CBS 422 programming a few days ago and watched them yesterday evening and it looked fine. Only inconvienience is having to unplug the USB drive from the micro and plug it into the PC for conversion. :)

a 4:2:2 three-way

For those with VideoReDo, it can edit, cleanup, and output in any reasonable format you want.
Has preset templates to help.

The free utility SUPER, can digest anything you throw at it , and output any other .
(but this is assuming clean source).

My Western Digital TV Live Plus Media player (several years old) eats high data rate 422 for breakfast!
No conversion required.
Pretty impressive looking, just takes a lot of room to store it. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts