Request for changing "SatelliteGuys God" title to other title

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work, I'm known as the SQL Sorcerer
Back in the 1980s I was able to claim, "I am a Wombat" and still have my refrigerator magnet. Alas, we found Datatrieve way too slow on our VAX 11-780 and needed up replacing vast sections of the DTR code with FORTRAN. Now, it's all SQL, and a mix of FORTRAN and C. After using RDB, I don't touch the SQL stuff much.

(side note: We went to see "Hidden Figures" and I snorted out loud when the Dorothy Vaughn character was leafing through the "Intro to FORTRAN" book and read "FORTRAN is the language of the Future" or some such. I then cringed at the end when they spelled it "Fortran".)

Reactions: Annie61
I really miss programming in FORTRAN or Fortran. From here: http://www.liquisearch.com/fortran/capitalization
The names of earlier versions of the language through FORTRAN 77 were conventionally spelled in all-caps (FORTRAN 77 was the version in which the use of lowercase letters in keywords was strictly nonstandard). The capitalization has been dropped in referring to newer versions beginning with Fortran 90. The official language standards now refer to the language as "Fortran".

Had one FORTRAN class in college but never ran across it in the business world.
Yeah, I had a few FORTRAN classes, but was hired based on one course in COBOL, which I hated.

Could have saved myself 3.5 years of tuition, had I known. :rolleyes

Reactions: Annie61
Yeah, I had a few FORTRAN classes, but was hired based on one course in COBOL, which I hated.

Could have saved myself 3.5 years of tuition, had I known. :rolleyes

I did COBOL and IBM Assembler for quite a few years. I wonder if any of my old code is still running at the insurance company I worked for.

To me, "Pro" didn't sound right because nobody is paying me for my opinions (as much as I wish that were true...) So I changed it to something more compatible with my belief system. :devilish

Reactions: Foxbat and Annie61
My first language was FORTRAN 2 (II? DK). Later, FORTRAN IV. Basic came later, after I was properly trained. I still remember being appalled at the indiscipline.

I did not like COBOL. I called it the tell me five times language, or something like that. Yet, I've written more in COBOL for the Navy than any other language. But I've written more in Pascal and Ada, just for fun and my own use, and in school.

I miss coding.

Maybe after I retire. First project, though, will be to write a program to read and print a list of what's on an EHD.

Maybe after I retire. First project, though, will be to write a program to read and print a list of what's on an EHD.

1000X :thumbup And after you do that, if you could figure out the rest of what's in those small files in each folder, maybe we could put programs onto an EHD and not just play the ones already there. :)

Reactions: navychop
My first language was FORTRAN 2 (II? DK). Later, FORTRAN IV. Basic came later, after I was properly trained. I still remember being appalled at the indiscipline.

I did not like COBOL. I called it the tell me five times language, or something like that. Yet, I've written more in COBOL for the Navy than any other language. But I've written more in Pascal and Ada, just for fun and my own use, and in school.

I miss coding.

I loved Pascal.

I've pretty much gotten the coding bug (pun intended) out of my system. Now it's just SQL and powershell.

Reactions: navychop
I did COBOL and IBM Assembler for quite a few years. I wonder if any of my old code is still running at the insurance company I worked for.
Did you ever use those IBM punch cards?

us__en_us__ibm100__punched_card__hand_cards__620x350.jpg

Reactions: TheKrell
My friend across the street and I would make card houses using punched cards. His dad worked for a bank and after they were done with the boxes of cards, they were effectively trash. He brought boxes and boxes of these cards home and we engineered some pretty impressive structures with them. I don't have pictures, but I know his parents took some. I think our record was 18 or 19 stories high, mostly because we couldn't reach the top story anymore.

But, yeah, I had decks of cards at school, learned the trick about the diagonal marker line. We also had a card versifier that could take punched cards and print the text that was punched on the card.

Did you ever use those IBM punch cards?

us__en_us__ibm100__punched_card__hand_cards__620x350.jpg

For one program in college. I think it was mostly as a novelty.

I was working nights in the computer room at a major insurance company while I was in college. There were a couple odd processes that did use cards. That would have been around 1981.

I graduated college in 89. Never used punch cards in college, and only seen/handled old unused cards in the corporate world.

Infant. I'll bet they never taught you how to use an abacus, either.

I wonder- do I still have mine?

The last time i saw an abacus in use was in the 89s when I went to Sigapore. It is absolutely amazing how fast an experienced operator (i have no idea what you call some who uses an abacus) can use those things.

The last time i saw an abacus in use was in the 89s when I went to Sigapore. It is absolutely amazing how fast an experienced operator (i have no idea what you call some who uses an abacus) can use those things.
According to wikipedia, "The user of an abacus is called an abacist."

Status
Not open for further replies.