Request for Current TV a la carte

Amiga

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Maybe Dish could provide Current TV a la carte since it's not part of a multinational media empire (which require multiple channel bundling)? I know a lot of folks that lean towards the left are eager for Countdown with Keith Olbermann, but don't have or want America's Top 200 to get it.

Amiga said:
Maybe Dish could provide Current TV a la carte since it's not part of a multinational media empire (which require multiple channel bundling)? I know a lot of folks that lean towards the left are eager for Countdown with Keith Olbermann, but don't have or want America's Top 200 to get it.

Comcast has a ten percent stake in it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You mean someone would actually pay extra to watch Keith Olbermann?
Let's not start this. I'm tired of these responses everywhere on these boards. I get Current TV now but WOULD pay extra if I didn't ...specifically for Keith's new show. But if god forbid I or anyone else says anything about the garbage on channel 205 a lynch mob comes out of the woodwork! :eek:

To the OP, I think you have to have Top 200 or above to get it.

I entered a programming request for "Current TV, a la carte. Currently the AT200 package is the least expensive option that includes this channel.

Let's not start this. I'm tired of these responses everywhere on these boards. I get Current TV now but WOULD pay extra if I didn't ...specifically for Keith's new show. But if god forbid I or anyone else says anything about the garbage on channel 205 a lynch mob comes out of the woodwork! :eek:

To the OP, I think you have to have Top 200 or above to get it.

I agree just tell people how to get the channel they want instead of telling them there is something wrong with them because they want Current , FOX, MSNBC, RFDTV, OWN or whatever.

First NO channel want to be a la carte, as it limits the potential viewership for ads. More importantly, Current TV would NOT exist had full a la carte system been imposed because Current could have NEVER been able to attract advertisers to a channel that has limited appeal that could not come to the table with potential number of viewers committed to a package that includes Current TV.

This is, ironically, the reason MANY smaller channels (think of Current TV (especially limited to younger liberal viewers), Documentary Chanel, etc.) and channels appealing to various ethnic audiences such as SiTV, are NOT in favor of a la carte programming as it would virtually eliminate "diversity" of programming and from whom. They feel that it would be impossible for such channel to ever get distribution on MVPD's, and viewers would be undeserved as it would mean only the largest media conglomerates would have either the scope or leverage to make an a la carte make economic sense for the channel owner.

This post is not intended to argue for or against a full a la carte implementation, just that it has some unintended consequences that have been pointed out to Congress by those smaller channels. And Congress has listened to some degree as they do have concerns about the issue of diversity, not shutting out channels that have an ethnic component and access for smaller channels that may have different points of view. In short, if one is a fan of some of the smaller but higher quality channels, then A la Cate is NOT GOOD for you. It really would be "buh, bye, Current TV."

I want it with a lesser package, like the Welcome Pack where Keith was on MSNBC. I already knew it was available on a higher end tier. I thought Dish could try to sell it on its own. I'm sure Countdown will also be pumped into the ol' Roku.

Last edited by a moderator:
No.
There is a package for $14.99 I think that is locals and a few other channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)