Request for input re hard drive replacement (lengthy)

sdfntx

Hook 'em, 'Horns!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
S. Texas
I'm hoping for help in coming up with a plan for replacing the primary hard drive on my desktop computer. I have the WD Black 1 TB replacement drive, but I'm going in circles about the best way to approach this replacement.

What I'm working with:

Dell Vostro 420, ~5yo, originally w/ Win XP Prof'l 32-bit, upgraded to Win 7 Prof'l 64-bit
Reinstallation CD for Win XP Prof'l SP3
Reinstallation DVD for Win Vista Business 32-bit (never used)
Upgrade DVDs for Win 7 Prof'l, 32-bit and 64-bit (used the 64-bit disc to do the Win 7 upgrade)
Current c:\ - 250GB SATA with main partition and Dell's hidden OEM partition (39 MB); OS and programs installed here
Current d:\ - ???GB SATA (probably 250-500GB); data files reside here (Win 7 Libraries point to this drive); this drive is currently unaccessible
Current x:\ - 750GB SATA; backups land here, along with downloads, files from an old EHD, etc.
Couple of DVD-RW drives (g:\ & h:\)

The situation that started it all:
An HD started clicking, during both bootup and beyond, and d:\ was 'disappearing' with increased frequency, finally lost it altogether. Decided nothing was going to miraculously fix itself, ordered the new drive. While waiting for it, I opened the case and first disconnected the d:\ drive's SATA cable. While there was still a bit of clicking during bootup, there's been none at all since everything loaded.

My thoughts so far:
My thought when I ordered the new drive was that I'd replace the data drive (d:\) with the new one, altho' it seems to be overkill for just data storage. After finding out that the clicking only mostly stopped with d:\ disconnected, I'm thinking maybe that c:\ is starting to go out, and it's showing up as the part of the drive that handles accessing d:\. My current thinking is to use the new drive to replace c:\, and partition it for c:\ (OS & programs) and d:\ (data storage), and either leave the existing d:\ out of the mix altogether (if it's even recognized by the new drive), or use it for an additional data backup (paranoid? yes!). Based on what I've gleaned in various forums online, I seem to have 3 approaches:
1 - A clean install, first with either the XP or Vista reinstallation discs, then with the Win 7 upgrade disc & reinstall all programs
2 - A clean install, with the Win 7 upgrade disc, using one of several options (registry edit, etc.) that seem to make this possible, then reinstall all programs
3 - Try my hand at making a system image of the existing c:\. I've downloaded WD's edition of Acronis True Image, but haven't ever attempted this process before, and don't even know if I would create the image on the new HD, or save it to x:\ and then restore it to the new drive.

If you've read this far, thank you! You can probably tell that I have no real computer training, so feel free to laugh at any of my assumptions! I've replaced HDs before (desktop & laptop), but it's been awhile, and now all the info I'm finding just serves to tie my brain in knots! I'm in the position of having enough knowledge to be dangerous, and I certainly don't know all the pitfalls of the different approaches, other than that I've always heard a clean install is the best way to go. I hope I haven't given so much info that I've lost you, but I just don't know what detail would give someone an 'aha' moment with the perfect solution. Any suggestion gratefully appreciated, and hand-holding thru this process earns double gold stars! ;-)

Suzanne

Did you disconnect the power to D also? Could be the source of the initial clicking.

I'd go with a clean install, 2. IIRC when it sees no OS on the drive, it will ask for it. Putting the Vista disc in might work. Also, there's another way of getting the 7 upgrade accepted as new - something about just rebooting when asked, but I really don't remember the details.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks for the reply, navychop. I hadn't unplugged the power to D previously, but tried that now. Absolutely no clicking at any stage, but I did get a message prior to login that I hadn't seen before:
Checking file system C
Type of file system is NTFS
the volume label is OS
the volume is clean​
That stayed on the screen for about 30 seconds, then Windows started to launch. Would the no clicking mean it's the D drive going bad, or could it still be an indication that C is not well? Right now, I'm still inclined to attempt replacing C, even if the primary problem is with D.

The check of the file system system must have been because the computer was not shut down cleanly, so it just checked the drive. If it did not complain about anything you should be fine.

Ah, thanks, mike123abc. Must've just been a coincidence that the plug had been pulled on the D drive. I'll keep bracing myself for the upgrade.

Just clone d: onto your new drive using WD's edition of Acronis True Image and then replace that drive with the new one. Then move on with your life. The utility to clone drives is pretty straight forward and relatively easy to use. You could reinstall everything, but why would you? You would spend a long time reinstalling windows and all your other programs just to get yourself back to where you are now. I don't think you would gain much of anything by doing that IMHO.

But yes, D hardware is taking a dive.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Mank thanks. Unfortunately, avg1joe's suggestion came after I'd already started the primary drive replacement, with the ensuing reinstallations. Several snags along the way, but I think I've managed to resolve all of them. And, I'd pretty much decided that yes, poor ol' D was dead - still clicking away after the replacement of C, power and SATA connections. Is there anything that can be done with a dead data drive besides burial? I haven't missed anything that wasn't backed up to the other external drive, so I'm good . . . unless there's ugly surprise in my future.

Thanks, again, y'all!

sdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)