Request to Dish: Create a replacement for the DP34 that supports Dish Pro Plus!!!

Here are the basics and the way I understand it.

With a Legacy LNBF and Receiver, the signals from the LNBF are sent using 950 MHz - 1450 MHz. So if you were to put a splitter to send the signals to two receivers, they would both have to watch either Odd Transponders or Even Transponders; depending on which voltage (13V or 18V) was last sent to switch between Odd and Even, but could watch different channels.

However, if this single LNBF had two separate outputs so that it could feed two receivers, then each receiver could watch channels on Transponders with opposite polarity (Odd/Right Hand or Even/Left Hand). Dish calls such a (legacy) LNBF a (legacy) Dual (not a Twin), which picks up a single satellite, but feeds two receivers. Each output is still only using 950 - 1450 MHz and only one polarity at a time; just each output is independent of each other.

DishPro, not as good as fresh French Bread, but better than legacy. With DishPro the signals are bandstack so that the LNBF output is 950 - 1450 MHz for Odd Transponders, and 1650 - 2150 MHz for the Even Transponders. So now if you took 3 DishPro LNBF and feed a DP34, you only need 3 inputs to have all 6 signals, i.e., both Odd and Even transponders from 3 satellites.

So basically all the DP34 is doing is connecting each Receiver Port to a Satellite LNBF Input Port which contains both polarities for the single requested satellite. It will also allow (upto) 4 connected tuners/receivers to each access a single Satellite/LNBF Port at the same time, and/or different LNBF/Ports.

DishPro Plus, as good as fresh French Bread, but not as good as Gumbo and French Bread.
Basically the DPP44 does the same thing, it takes and connects a single receiver to a single LNBF port with both polarities available.
However, it will also connect a dual tuner receiver to 2 different LNBF Ports with both polarities from each, using a single cable. This is where the magic comes in.

I haven't figured out how it does this (yet), but I suspect when the DPP44 receives a certain command, it sends the requested signal for the second tuner down the same line by either offsetting the frequency, another bandstack, or multiplexing it. Then the DP Separator, separates it to the correct tuners. However, I'm sure these dual tuners play a part in converting this 2nd signal; if not, you would probably be able to take the outputs from a DP Separator and send it to separate receivers - which doesn't work.

Last edited:
SmityWhity said:
Typing the previous post, I was thinking maybe using 2 DP Separators as if they were 2 diplexers might work, but I have a feeling it won't. Besides providing Odd and Even at the same time (DishPro bandstacking), it can provide Odd and Odd from two different satellites (DishPro Plus) at the same time.
You're on the way to answering why that won't work. AFAIK, tp 31 from 119 and 110 are the same frequency, so forcing both on the same line would introduce interference problems that are avoided by 9° satellite separation and standard (legacy or DP) switching.
...I suspect when the DPP44 receives a certain command, it sends the requested signal for the second tuner down the same line by either offsetting the frequency, another bandstack, or multiplexing it. Then the DP Separator, separates it to the correct tuners.
I vote for (B). While DishPro utilizes band-stacker, I think of DPP as a band re-stacker. This early photo of the Separator shows tuner 2 gets the high band and tuner 1 gets the low band and sends power and commands. If both tuners want an odd tp, even from the same satellite, it would need to be translated to the upper band for tuner 2.

That's pretty much how I've briefly explained it on the EKB DishPro Technology page.

BTW, excellent write-up of the basics! :hatsoff:

Thanks Charles for the info and links.

Maybe like the DP Adapter for the legacy receivers, they could build a DPP adapter for the dual tuner receivers, so that it could be used with the DP34. Even if it had to connect to and use two receiver ports, it would still have a lot of benefits.

EDIT:
Tuner 1 using 950 - 1450 MHz for both Odd and Even, just like a legacy receiver. And that's the reason the DPP44 is compatible with legacy receivers without a "DP Adapter" as required on the DP34.

SW
A little knowledge is dangerous, and a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Last edited:
DPP adapter: How about a "DPP21" switch? It could be usable with the DP34 as you suggest, and should also allow a single run 5-sat installation in a DPP44/DPP21 cascade.

Legacy adapter: I suspect the DPP44 knows that when it receives legacy switching commands, even transponders need to be "unstacked" back to the legacy 950 - 1450 range.

When using the DPP Separator, I think Tuner 1 only gets odd OR even as needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)