Request to Iceberg - Switch tutorial

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hantu

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
Rochester, NY
Ice,

I went through your tips of the day and through the FAQ for FTA, as well. Unless I missed it, there doesn't seem to be any comprehensive information on the different kinds of switches used by folks who are in the satellite hobby.

When it is convenient for you, would you be willing to put together some scenerios related to what switches you would use in which situation? I understand some of it, but it would be nice to see practical examples of which switches to use when.

I hope people really appreciate the time and effort Pete and you put into this site. We ALL really appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help us get through some of the "tough times" in FTA. (And, no, I am not kissing your a** to get you to answer my request, either). If I didn't appreciate your help, I wouldn't come back to see what's new.

Thanks,
Hantu

hantu said:
When it is convenient for you, would you be willing to put together some scenerios related to what switches you would use in which situation? I understand some of it, but it would be nice to see practical examples of which switches to use when.

what do you mean? I usually use a Diseqc switch (for more than 2 LNB's) or a 22k switch (for 2 LNB's...unless a Universal is involved).

There are lots of combinations on how to hook up different LNB's and Sadoun has a bunch posted at his site
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Multi-lnbf-Switch-setup.htm

Honestly alot of these weird combos out there (like my 4 LNB's to 4 receivers using a 4x4 multiswitch) are just crazy ideas on how to "push the envelope". I don't like using switches unless necessary so I dealt with the negative of only having one polarity per LNB and was happy with the plus of only needing one switch for the whole thing :)

If you guys have some ideas on what you're looking for then I can go from there :)
(no idea is crazy...look at some of them that myself & DrHydro have been thought of)

don't get me wrong. If you guys have some crazy ideas I'm sure it could be drawn up :)

Lots of crazy ideas came about while waiting for a blind scan to complete :D

I think what I was getting at was an explanation of voltages, why does one use the switch they use in a configuration, are there things to look out for when creating one of the solutions that Sadoun has illustrated (nice illustrations, by the way.) I can see how to hook them up, I was just wondering about the details for each type of switch. I can connect the dots as well as the next guy, but some folks may be more interested in the "why" of switch usage, not just the "how". If I'm going to buy a bunch of switches to hook up mulitple LNB's, I would be interested in why I am buying what I am buying to understand the overall interactions.

Rambling, but does this make sense? As an example:
What does a Diseq switch actually do?
What is the reason to have a multiswitch?
What does "22k"mean?
etc......

Let me know if I am not being clear. I am just looking for some general explanation. These answers may be good for the FTA FAQ. That's all I was thinking.

Hantu

heck I don't even know what a 22k switch does :D
I just know it allows you select between 2 things (either 2 LNB's or the lo & high on a Universal)

With a 22Khz switch the receiver produces a (22Khz) tone that is sent to the switch, thus toggling between both positions.

Between switch on and off.

A 22Khz switch can not be used with a Universal LNBF :(

because its built in on a Universal LNB and the 22k select between low band and high band
low band is 10.7-11.7
high is 11.7-12.75

Standard LNB is from 11.7-12.2

So, since I have a Universal LNB, I can turn the internal switch on so that I only get the HI side of the spectrum? Is that why you recommend it to speed up scan times? I guess these are the types of questions and answers I meant would be good for the FAQ.

Thanks, as always, for the help.

If you have a universal LNBF, you won't be able to use a 22k switch, since the LNBF already has one built in. That would be one instance where the DiSEqC switch comes in handy... when you can't use a 22k.

22k 4 x 4 multiswitches are great for the Invacom QPH LNBF since the linear side is standard and not universal.

hantu said:
So, since I have a Universal LNB, I can turn the internal switch on so that I only get the HI side of the spectrum? Is that why you recommend it to speed up scan times? I guess these are the types of questions and answers I meant would be good for the FAQ.

Thanks, as always, for the help.

yes you can. Change it to "Standard", LO is 10600 and turn the 22 manually on. Then you always have the high band

I did mention this in my "tip of the Iceberg" ;)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=568440&postcount=5

I did mention this in my "tip of the Iceberg"

I knew the answer sounded familiar from somewhere:) I guess I shouldn't have read them all in one sitting. It all starts to blend together after the 10th post or so.

Thanks to each of you for the explanation(s).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts