Restarting the hobby

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RidgeRunner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Raymond, Maine, United States
I still have my channel master 1.2m dish with pansat pf-7600s ku lnbf, and a Traxis DBS3500. I used this setup for a bit and realized I wasn't getting all channels because of HD. I kinda sidelined the hobby for a bit.

Here is what I want to do.

I want to fix my 1.2m dish at 103° for Alex Jones on SES-3 C-band, DVB-S,
3740 Vertical Alignment
TP 2.
channel ID 11
MPEG-2 HD

I know people here have experimented with c band on 1.2m dishes on c band.
I'm looking for recommendations on LNBFs. Also maybe even a c/ku lnbf?

I want to fix my second dish .75m channel master to 97° mostly for the audio/music content. Any TV there will be an added bonus.

I am also looking for recommendations on a reasonable receiver. I want to be able to receive "what's up there" and not miss out because my receiver doest do a particular format or HD. I've read some have the ability to do OTA and DVD?

Eventually when I get this up and running I plan to expand my capabilities.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G935V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: olliec420
You will not get everything on C-Band with a 1.2m as you know. Will you get the channel you want? I don't know, maybe someone with a 1.2 on C-Band can answer if they get it or not and how strong.
If 1.2M is all you have though go for it and see what all you can get and have fun with it.
You will need to get a conical scalar. Also, I would not spend money on a C/ku for that size dish. Those LNBF's are a compromise on a 10 foot(3M) dish. They will not really work on a 1.2.
I would get a Titanium C1-PLL, PLL LNBF and a CS1 conical scalar, for the 1.2M dish.

If you want a receiver that has OTA built in, pretty much your best option right now is the Linkbox 9000i local. You can grab one from Casey, over at HyperMegaSat.com.
I assume by DVD you meant DVR or recording capabilty. The Linkbox will handle that also, however, you will need to purchase an externally powered USB Hard Drive to have the option.

Welcome back to the hobby!!

I seriously doubt that transponder will get a lock with a mini bud ( Ku 1.2 ). I am getting that tp with a well tuned 10 foot unimesh at 11.8 db`s..On the plus side it is a dvbs signal so stranger things have happened.

Look around for a good used 8-12 footer for C-band. Your 1.2m will work great for Ku. 3740 is not the strongest TP and even though it is dvbs I doubt it will work on a 1.2m.

I am getting that tp with a well tuned 10 foot unimesh at 11.8 db`s.
I have not had a chance to look yet thanks Hockeynut.
If he is only getting 11.8dB on a 10', you will not get that on a 1.2M.

Wow good information here. I was hopefull that I have a good view of 103 that maybe I could tune my 1.2m to be able to pick it up. I have two brand new never opened 10 footers and a 7.5 foot dish. I just didn't want to invest the resources if I could put up my 1.2m on c band if I could get away with it. It sounds like a waste of resources....

Ya I meant DVR, spell check changed it to DVD.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Cham
Looks like you have some work to do! :) The 10 footer will work well for the feeds you are looking for. If it has an polar mount even better. Lots of other stuff up there too.The 7.5 can be added later, I just recently added an 8 foot stationary dish to point at 127w for NASA TV.

I have two brand new never opened 10 footers and a 7.5 foot dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)