Restoring orignal color of B&W photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

al_madhi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Riyadh - Saudi Arabia
Hi guys wondering is it possible to restore original colors of old B&W photos , by the same procedure they did for coloring old B&W movies .

Any thoughts you would have be greatlt appreciated .

korsjs said:
i am sure it is possible. have you looked at adobe photo shop or any other photo editors?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To - korsjs thanks for reply

does adobe photoshop programm recognize the true orignal colors of the objects in the old B&W photos whey they photographed ., Or according to the person who run the programm color the objects on his choice .

cheers .

I use PSP 9 (Paint Shop Pro)

I'm not aware of any program that can reliably colorize a picture because light blues and reds are similar in luminance. So it is best guess for clothing/fabric. Flesh tones are easier.

Dark tones of blues, reds, purples, and blacks are a best guess too.

It is hit and miss. It can take a lot of time depending on the detail you want. YOu basically paint a color over the B&W area while preserving the image.

PSP is free for 30-60 days to try. I think adobe has a trial period too.

I did a quick google search with the following terms...

colorizing black white photo*

IT came back with try-before-u-buy software and methods to colorize photos manually.

Sorry to be so general... I don't do enough to be a big help. I do more restoration and crack removal. A lot of it is almost art, because you have to imagine what would look good and fill in the blank area.

Here is one I did taking a person out of a photo.I animated it to show the process. I renamed it remove.gif. (turn on animations if they are off in your browser)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)