Retailer acct used in apt owned mdu

yestodish

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
new york
Hey guys, I am new here and I thought joining and jumping right in may be the best way to get an answer for my question.

I am a retailer for Dish Network and I get a free showroom demo acct. I live in an apartment building that happens to be a MDU account as well. They offer Dish Network services and give you a receiver (211) to use in your apartment. This receiver hooks directly into the faceplate (altho there may be something behind it). Anyways, I have lived here for a while but never got signed up for service. I recently bought a vip722k duo dvr recieiver and got it activated on my showroom acct. I screw it directly to the cable, run a check switch, and it comes back reception verified, check switch none. I then tried using the triplexer running the cable in, and the sat 1 & sat 2 to the 722. Once again check switch comes back none for 1 & 2. I have verified the line is live and hooked to the multiswitch outside. Is it just that the 722 is not compatible with this system and I need to downgrade to a 211? or is it that I am not using the right kind of triplexter, biplexer, or splitter? Also, would using a q-box help in this scenario? thanks for your help guys.. josh

QAM MDU will require Q-boxes, however 722k is not compatible with QAM system. Does ur 211 show scan or checkswitch, if check switch u may have an L-band system.

This has nothing to do with your question but I would think the free "Showroom" account that DISH provides you is for use in your "Showroom", not your living room.:rolleyes:

Hey guys, I am new here and I thought joining and jumping right in may be the best way to get an answer for my question.

I am a retailer for Dish Network and I get a free showroom demo acct. I live in an apartment building that happens to be a MDU account as well. They offer Dish Network services and give you a receiver (211) to use in your apartment. This receiver hooks directly into the faceplate (altho there may be something behind it). Anyways, I have lived here for a while but never got signed up for service. I recently bought a vip722k duo dvr recieiver and got it activated on my showroom acct. I screw it directly to the cable, run a check switch, and it comes back reception verified, check switch none. I then tried using the triplexer running the cable in, and the sat 1 & sat 2 to the 722. Once again check switch comes back none for 1 & 2. I have verified the line is live and hooked to the multiswitch outside. Is it just that the 722 is not compatible with this system and I need to downgrade to a 211? or is it that I am not using the right kind of triplexter, biplexer, or splitter? Also, would using a q-box help in this scenario? thanks for your help guys.. josh

If I remember correctly, if you are a retailer for Dish then you are required to have a storefront and aren't allowed to run a Dish business out of your home (or apartment) so using your showroom account (which is offered to you to show potential customers what they can get from Dish) in your apartment seems not only wrong but also more than a bit unethical...but maybe that's just me...

And you are a dealer for DISH???????????????
I sell the service and pay the installers who are trained in this kind of thing. So pardon me for not knowing the exact "lingo".
TROLLS. There is at least 1 in every group. Thanks for calling yourself out early.
Josh

This has nothing to do with your question but I would think the free "Showroom" account that DISH provides you is for use in your "Showroom", not your living room.:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, if you are a retailer for Dish then you are required to have a storefront and aren't allowed to run a Dish business out of your home (or apartment) so using your showroom account (which is offered to you to show potential customers what they can get from Dish) in your apartment seems not only wrong but also more than a bit unethical...but maybe that's just me...

So I will answer 2 questions here. I have a showroom located inside a mall. The problem is that there is no way to actually put a Dish on the roof of the mall for Demo/Showroom purposes. However, Dish does allow you to use your showroom account at home as long as you remote it to your showroom display. This way, you can still show a live demo of how it all works, including all features, without having it on top of the building. It isn't possible to mount a Dish in every scenario, therefore if you can verify you need the showroom account at home so you can remote it for live demo, there is a provision to exception to allow so.

So now that we've gotten through this, can anyone offer me real advice on getting this scenario to work? Thanks again for those of you attempting to assist. Josh

Last edited:
I believe your easiest avenue will be to put up your own dish. Do you have a south facing balcony?

QAM MDU will require Q-boxes, however 722k is not compatible with QAM system. Does ur 211 show scan or checkswitch, if check switch u may have an L-band system.

Well my 722 shows check switch. I don't have a 211 set up on the line yet. However, Dish Network's website says that a 722k will work using a q-box .
I was going to post a link but for some reason the tech portal for dish is not loading. Anyways, it says that a vip722k is supported on a qam system when used with a q-box.
So what do you make of this? Is there an easy way to discover what type of system my apts use so i can switch my set up to be compatible? Josh

I believe your easiest avenue will be to put up your own dish. Do you have a south facing balcony?
i dont wanna put up my own dish when there is one available :( lol.. i will if i have to, but i may not even face the correct direction for it and I have to get some kind of extra approval from the apt complex. Headache.
josh