Retailer Chat Recap - 1/14/2014

One question that comes to mind is whether Dish will allow the virtual Joey to be activated and deactivated as needed (like an owned Joey). If so, the main advantage would be avoiding the initial $100 cost to purchase a Joey. If not, then the only real advantage would be for a room that doesn't have cabling but does have a compatible device. Presumably this will save the customer from having to either purchasing a wireless Joey or leasing one and entering into another 24 month commitment (assuming that activating a virtual Joey does not trigger a new commitment).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Everyone keeps forgetting that you're not paying for a Joey, you're paying for programming access and that is exactly what the Virtual Joey does. You pay the same for a 2700, 301, 311, 411, or 211. These receivers are all different and some are much cheaper than others but they all carry a $7 fee.

If you think about it as an access fee then it makes more sense.

Everyone keeps forgetting that you're not paying for a Joey, you're paying for programming access and that is exactly what the Virtual Joey does. You pay the same for a 2700, 301, 311, 411, or 211. These receivers are all different and some are much cheaper than others but they all carry a $7 fee.

you seem to forget that WE are providing our own hardware so there must be a discount in there somewhere..Time Warner does not charge for their ROKU app..comcast and many other cable companies have programming aps (Free) It just some big Mickey Mouse satellite company that likes to rip people off

you seem to forget that WE are providing our own hardware so there must be a discount in there somewhere..Time Warner does not charge for their ROKU app..comcast and many other cable companies have programming aps (Free) It just some big Mickey Mouse satellite company that likes to rip people off

That is true TWC does not charge for all the Rokus you want around the house being used as cable boxes.

Call about the Virtual Joey and Blake blurts out that the Vitual Joey will be $7 a month. BLAH!! (Scott Rant! - It needs to be $5 a month (or lower) or you might as well just get a real Joey which does more!!!)

Caller asks about Super Joey pricing, he says it will cost more then the regular Joey but pricing is not set yet and they will talk about it next month.

A "real Joey" also now has a faster processor, which I am sure will be MUCH faster than a TV GUI and would provide more functionality too.

I'm not familiar with their product. Are you able to watch something different on each device and does it give you full access?

The life of a product is determined by its demand. We will see if the VJ can hold on to its monthly price. I do not have a need for it right now.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

That is too easy to understand. Folks get hung up on the hardware, but the hardware doesn't matter.

The approach is nothing new. It's the same as Gillette giving away the razor in order to sell the blades. The blades are the same cost whether you bought the razor or got the deal.

My thought is, if people don't want the Virtual Joey, who cares? Why would Dish care? It's not like they have tons of money stuck into hardware like a receiver. It's basically just another option for customers. When that customer does need it I'm sure they'll be willing to pay the $7. If not then you just put in a regular Hopper and Dish still gets. $7.

I guess my point is, how does having the Virtual Joey too expensive hurt Dish? If people don't use it then Dish isn't out much, they'll just put in a regular Joey.

That is too easy to understand. Folks get hung up on the hardware, but the hardware doesn't matter.

The approach is nothing new. It's the same as Gillette giving away the razor in order to sell the blades. The blades are the same cost whether you bought the razor or got the deal.

It just comes down to whatever Dish decides to charge. There is no rhyme or reason either way. Dish decided that a virtual joey is worth $7, and that is what they will charge. Time Warner Cable decided that the virtual cable box in a Roku was going to be free, so they do not charge. Dish customers will make the decision if $7 is worth it for a virtual joey.

There is no justification for any fee that Dish charges, they are all simply business decisions that Dish has made based on what they think the market will pay and they will get maximum customers. Why is a Joey $7 and not $3 or $12? Dish decided that customers would respond best to $7 and set the price there. As a consumer you are free to decide if you like Dish's prices and choose them, or go with someone else that you think gives you a better deal.

It would have to be a lot cheaper for me to even trade my regular joey so I say Dish made the right call. I think the VJ is more a marketing gimmick rather than anything any of us would actually use anyways.

Stick a wireless adapter into a regular joey and it's magically portable everywhere in your home and not limited by some app on select devices.

...Stick a wireless adapter into a regular joey and it's magically portable everywhere in your home and not limited by some app on select devices.

Today. After the new "Wireless Joey" - who knows.

Today. After the new "Wireless Joey" - who knows.

Scott has said from the very beginning that Dish wouldn't go out of their way to block us from using our regular joeys wirelessly. Expect it to continue later on as we're still paying Dish's $7 per month regardless of how it's wired.

THey should just put Joey on a wireless usb stick. That way it is cheap, small and you just plug it into any device you want service on.

The problem is that they didn't get the razor for free..cable only charges for an additional outlet when u rent a box..cable ready TV's are free..dish should be compensated for developing software but not be able to charge for an additional box when they don't provide one..my bill has separate charges for programming and hardware

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Well, at least we now know that it'll be the same for the Virtual Joey. Ends that grape of speculation.
Well, there is always the speculation that we could possibly change Dish's mind by raising a big enough stink here. :)

I suspect that even the content providers have a stipulation in their contracts that they get more per sub based on the number of TV outlets they have (programming access), thus there will always be a programming access fee, owned or leased, real or virtual.

Well, there is always the speculation that we could possibly change Dish's mind by raising a big enough stink here. :)

I suspect that even the content providers have a stipulation in their contracts that they get more per sub based on the number of TV outlets they have (programming access), thus there will always be a programming access fee, owned or leased, real or virtual.

Doesn't apply to cable

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It would have to be a lot cheaper for me to even trade my regular joey so I say Dish made the right call. I think the VJ is more a marketing gimmick rather than anything any of us would actually use anyways.

Stick a wireless adapter into a regular joey and it's magically portable everywhere in your home and not limited by some app on select devices.

I suppose it could be considered as a gimmick but I think it was just made to be another install solution for customers. Obviously it wasn't created to make everyone drop their Joeys and use the Virtual Joey, even though everyone here acts like it.

It just comes down to whatever Dish decides to charge. There is no rhyme or reason either way. Dish decided that a virtual joey is worth $7, and that is what they will charge. Time Warner Cable decided that the virtual cable box in a Roku was going to be free, so they do not charge. Dish customers will make the decision if $7 is worth it for a virtual joey.

If it was $5 a month I would send DISH back one of the Joey's and let me 10 year old use his Playstation 4 to watch TV... he barely watches TV anyways.

But for $7 a month I will keep the Joey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts