Retailer Chat Recap - August 7, 2008

I am sure they do, all VIP receivers being shipping by Dish Network over the last 3 months have the new 3g smartcard in it.

Hmmm, I'm moving in the next month or so. What's the possibility of me Dishn' It Up from my VIP622 to a 722 and for what price? I only have the one receiver with HD absolute.

Whoops Leslie forgot a few things...

You can now turn off that annoying remote reminder screen. (See pictures.)

She then tells us how 1080p works. Tells us if your receiver is in dual mode TV2 will get a blank screen when someone is watching 1080p material.

For clarity, does this mean when I pay extra to watch a 1080p VOD I get the added benefit of my other TV (TV2) not functioning?

If you do not have the box to your reciever how do you tell if you have the new smartcard. I would assume the new VIP 211k I got last week does but how do I tell without the box?

Was it explained why watching a 1080p VOD disables TV2?

Well, my thought is it's likely because 1080p output requires such a high bit-rate that either the hard disk bandwidth, processor bandwidth, or bus bandwidth doesn't have enough reserve to still provide video to TV2 at the same time. I don't think E* would have created such a restriction unless it was forced on them by hardware limitations.

Well, my thought is it's likely because 1080p output requires such a high bit-rate that either the hard disk bandwidth, processor bandwidth, or bus bandwidth doesn't have enough reserve to still provide video to TV2 at the same time. I don't think E* would have created such a restriction unless it was forced on them by hardware limitations.

Maybe it is related to the HDCP protection?

If you try to play a protected movie on a pc you can only display it on a single monitor.

FOLKS LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR...

EASTERN ARC IS FOR NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY.

EASTERN ARC REQUIRES THE NEW 3G SMARTCARD WHICH CURRENTLY IS ONLY INCLUDED WITH NEW MPEG4 RECEIVERS.

When the new smartcards are out and your current MPEG4 receivers get them then it may be possible for you to tune into the Eastern Arc satellites. :)

I'm assuming that Dish could supply a new card for a legacy 622 receiver if one were in the 'returning customer' side of the 'new customer' arena. I think that this whole Eastern Arc initiative is at least partially aimed at the potential install base that was hitherto off limits due to line-of-sight issues...and that includes a number of ex-customers like me that might have old (pre-3mo old) hardware.

FOLKS LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR...

EASTERN ARC IS FOR NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY.

EASTERN ARC REQUIRES THE NEW 3G SMARTCARD WHICH CURRENTLY IS ONLY INCLUDED WITH NEW MPEG4 RECEIVERS.

When the new smartcards are out and your current MPEG4 receivers get them then it may be possible for you to tune into the Eastern Arc satellites. :)

Ok, I suppose it depends on the definition of EA.. can NON-EA customers get their HD from 61.5 instead of 129? (As others here have mentioned.. my forecasting abilities are better than the local weatherman, I just watch for dropped signal)

Well when will my year old plus 622 get a new smartcard? Or will I have to repurchase a new receiver, I want Eastern Arc because of 119/129 LOS issues.

...can NON-EA customers get their HD from 61.5 instead of 129?...
Yes. But NON-EA customers need 2 dishes: one for 110/119 and one for 61.5.

OTOH EA customers will be able to use a single dish for 61.5, 72.5 and 77 (once it gets in place).

Talon Dancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)