Retailer Chat Recap: July 9, 2009

It says new and existing customers will get the add on pkg . So arent all of us existing customers. So currently I have turbo gold. So doesnt that mean you can go online in your acct and change to say the top 200 and add the hd pkg for $10 and get the platinum for free . It sounds like saving $10 . Just a simple few clicks.It sounds like they are or will eventually do away with turbo pkg. I guess because of programmers give them a hard time adding like fox,fox business , and now MSBC hd to the turbo pkgs. I say they should go back to a simple plans such as directv does. Add hd pkg for $10 and do away with platinum hd all hd channels included into add on pkg which sounds what are doing after aug 1st. I checked yesterday to see what it would cost to change to top 200 and keep both hd pkgs. I actually would save $2.00 a mos. They really need to do away with the turbo hd pkgs hopefully they will.

The slide says new and existing customers that are upgrading to HD get platinum for free.

The question many of us have is if we are existing HD customers do we have to jump through hoops to drop our HD on 7/31 only to add it back on 8/1 or will DISH do the right thing and credit existing customers plus add platinum HD without us calling first?

Anyone who has downgraded programing online in the last year cannot use the online feature to downgrade their account again. You have to call or use chat to make changes downgrading programming. You can continue to use the online feature to add as much programing as you like.

Last edited:
I know no one will be falling off there chairs when I say this, but for the heck of it I did a chat with a CSR if they had heard of Platinum being no cost to those who have HD after August 1st. The Chat person said "we have not heard of this as of yet"

I know no one will be falling off there chairs when I say this, but for the heck of it I did a chat with a CSR if they had heard of Platinum being no cost to those who have HD after August 1st. The Chat person said "we have not heard of this as of yet"

Well where is anyone getting the idea that Dish would do such a thing, even though it would be the RIGHT thing? Did they say that in the Retailer Chat? NO! They said that NEW subscribers and upgraders would get Platinum for free.

I suspect the only reason that there isn't a mass outcry about this is that most subscribers aren't reading this thread.

Well where is anyone getting the idea that Dish would do such a thing, even though it would be the RIGHT thing? Did they say that in the Retailer Chat? NO! They said that NEW subscribers and upgraders would get Platinum for free.

I suspect the only reason that there isn't a mass outcry about this is that most subscribers aren't reading this thread.

The beauty of satellite guys is we can create a mass outcry once we all start to call and email CEO about this.

Well hopefully in this case they will do the right thing and also provide a credit for those already subscribed to the HD/Platnium package, I could see if they were only offering platinum at no cost for a promo period that would be one thing but if its permanent...You would think they would do something for the current subs??....Oh well I guess we will see come August

It says new and existing customers will get the add on pkg . So arent all of us existing customers. So currently I have turbo gold. So doesnt that mean you can go online in your acct and change to say the top 200 and add the hd pkg for $10 and get the platinum for free . It sounds like saving $10 . Just a simple few clicks.It sounds like they are or will eventually do away with turbo pkg. I guess because of programmers give them a hard time adding like fox,fox business , and now MSBC hd to the turbo pkgs. I say they should go back to a simple plans such as directv does. Add hd pkg for $10 and do away with platinum hd all hd channels included into add on pkg which sounds what are doing after aug 1st. I checked yesterday to see what it would cost to change to top 200 and keep both hd pkgs. I actually would save $2.00 a mos. They really need to do away with the turbo hd pkgs hopefully they will.

NO! It said new or existing customers who upgrade to HD . . . The never mentioned anything about current HD subscribers.

I can also tell you about this, from my trying to upgrade to HD. They are requiring all MPEG4 boxes NOW! I won't even go into the unbelievable hoops they were putting me and then the installer I called through, until I finally gave up and am not upgrading.

But to the point of the all MPEG4, they will not allow me to keep my paid for 508 in the bedroom, and get a single TV HD box for the living room. They insisted I get a dual HD box. I was about to give in and use the second output for my slingbox when they informed the installer, what they meant was, they would no longer supply me an MPEG2 signal if I upgraded, so I had to do it their way -one dual box. I don't want one box, if it fails then no TV. They would allow me to get a dual box and a single box (Both HD - MPEG4) but that increased the total cost too high fo me in this economy. So I will stay with my two 508's as long as possible......I have an old RCA HD receiver that I use for over the air HD and will live with that.

It depends upon the upgrade if they require more of your equipment. In my case, I owned all six of my boxes but one. So the one leased box HAD to go back to Dish as an exchange, no choice. That was fine. But I wanted to upgrade to TWO HD DVR's. They said they would do it as an all lease, meaning I pay nothing for the 2nd HD DVR, but they wanted my owned 508 as an exchange for the 2nd HD DVR.

I could have kept the 508, but would have had to pay an additional upgrade fee (not full retail for the box). I was going HD and my 508's HDD was making noises, and I really don't care to keep an SD DVR, frankly, and I considered it fair trade for them GIVING ME AT NO COST a 2nd HD DVR This was not unusual type of deal. Dish often wants an exchange if they are going to go further or beyond the original promo. Remember the Dish'n it up at the time (and still does, I think) provide ONE DVR at the upgrade price. I would have to pay an additional upgrade just to keep my dying and now inadequate 508. Get a FREE 2nd HD DVR (who cares if it is leased) for my old, now devalued DVR (they go for $2 on ebay now, right?:)) and just send back my old clunky 508. Fine with me.

Now I have two leased and 4 owned boxes and consider the trade-off compromise will worth it as each person has their own HD DVR and at no additional cost to me.

If you have all owned boxes, then I would expect that Dish does want at least one of your boxes as an exchange for the upgrade. But if we don't like the way Dish does business, there is Direct TV, cable, AT&T, Verizon FiOS. I really didn't have a problem with the deal they gave me.

NO! It said new or existing customers who upgrade to HD . . . The never mentioned anything about current HD subscribers.

They're really going to tick-off existing HD subs if they give the platinum package free to new (or existing) subs who upgrade to HD, but do nothing for us who have had HD for quite awhile. No doubt about it...

I decided to send an email to CEO to ask the question.

Will existing HD subs get Platinum HD included in the underlying HD package for $10 like new subs and existing subs who are upgrading to HD.

When I get a response I will post it.

I decided to send an email to CEO to ask the question.

Will existing HD subs get Platinum HD included in the underlying HD package for $10 like new subs and existing subs who are upgrading to HD.

When I get a response I will post it.

I sent CEO a somewhat similar question with the addition of "if not, why not?" If I should get a reply, I too will post it...

I'm in the Lima Ohio market but currently get my locals in HD from Dayton Ohio. I wonder if I will lose my HD Dayton channels when they launch the SD Lima channels?
:eek:

I contacted Dish and this is my understanding...

Old Hd Package (grandfatherd) counts as premium New one does NOT.

New HD pack age has plat included and is only 10 dollars.

If you remove the old HD pack and add the new one you will get plat for the same rate. "SPECULATION"(This sounds to good to be true so the explanation is simple. Dish is not making enough off plat so they change the way it is offered. People will switch to this new 10 dollar HD pack with it included then this new package will go up in price on 2/1/2010)

(I would not get the new package with plat included until the price increase next 2/1/2010)

Also in addition the AT 250 bonus pack will no longer be offered as a premium addon as of 8/1. Going forward the price will still be a 10 dollar difference but it will not bundle with your other premiums. (Everyone that has it now as a premium is grandfathered)

I contacted Dish and this is my understanding...

Old Hd Package (grandfatherd) counts as premium New one does NOT.

New HD pack age has plat included and is only 10 dollars.

If you remove the old HD pack and add the new one you will get plat for the same rate. "SPECULATION"(This sounds to good to be true so the explanation is simple. Dish is not making enough off plat so they change the way it is offered. People will switch to this new 10 dollar HD pack with it included then this new package will go up in price on 2/1/2010)

(I would not get the new package with plat included until the price increase next 2/1/2010)

Also in addition the AT 250 bonus pack will no longer be offered as a premium addon as of 8/1. Going forward the price will still be a 10 dollar difference but it will not bundle with your other premiums. (Everyone that has it now as a premium is grandfathered)

Thanks for the additional insight. Sounds like what M Sparks was also saying. Who did you contact at Dish?

The current theory is if you switch to the new package, around next Feb you will see a HD price increase but if you remain under the current pricing you will be grandfathered (with no HD package price increase?). What leads you to believe we will be grandfathered and spared the price increase?

Right now very few people carry Platinum and subscriber growth has been very slow. DISH would make much more money and get some good press/advertising opportunity if they switched everyone now with big fanfare about how you get the extra 7 or 8 Plat HD channels included free then hit their entire HD subscriber base up for a $2-3 dollar increase come Feb.

It is my belief that no matter what happens with the HD packages, every subscriber will see some sort of increase anyway.

Also, what is the benefit of having AT250 offered as a premium currently as opposed to just a $10 charge for the extra channels after 8/1?

The benefit is that when you offer the top 250 bonus pack as a premium , you can combine it with other premiums and get a cheaper deal on your movie channels. Like top 250 +hd pack is 20.00. Add to that Hbo and you pay 31.00. Add to that Starz and you pay 40.00 . Add to that Showtime or Playboy and you pay 50.00. If all you add is two premium movie packs by themselves and no bonus pack like Hbo or Starz, and you pay $22.00. So having top 250 bonus pack as a premium helps you to get more movie packs at a cheaper price if you have dvr advantage pack as a basic pack.

The benefit is that when you offer the top 250 bonus pack as a premium , you can combine it with other premiums and get a cheaper deal on your movie channels. Like top 250 +hd pack is 20.00. Add to that Hbo and you pay 31.00. Add to that Starz and you pay 40.00 . Add to that Showtime or Playboy and you pay 50.00. If all you add is two premium movie packs by themselves and no bonus pack like Hbo or Starz, and you pay $22.00. So having top 250 bonus pack as a premium helps you to get more movie packs at a cheaper price if you have dvr advantage pack as a basic pack.

Thanks for the explanation.

What this translates to is a back door price increase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)