Return of two leased 811s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lcorios

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
In August, 2004 I subscribed to dish from my home in East Texas and leased two 811s from a dealer with headquarters in Austin, Texas and they installed the system. I have recently purchased a 622 and added it to my account. I waited three months to confirm to myself that I no longer need or want to use the 811s and I do not want to upgrade them. I want to return them and stop the monthly charge. Simple so far. However, my contract states that I must return the 811s to the dealer or be charged for each of them (an "Unreturned Equipment Charge").

I have called the dealer to get the address for return and have gotten two different stories. The first time I called they said to ship them back to them in Austin or I would be charged when I deleted the units from my account.

When I called back to ask a question about what kind of receipt or document I would be getting from them in order to show Dish that the 811s were returned, I was told not to return them to the installing dealer in Austin, they (along with the remotes) were to go to another city in Texas. He thought that the city was El Paso but also said he thought there were two different places in Texas. One for returned units and one for the repair of units.

He said I would have to get the correct address from Dish. He also said that if I sent them (the dealer) a copy of the shipping receipt, that they would note on my contract that the units had been returned and I would not be charged.

I called Dish and the lady I talked to said they would send boxes out for the return. I asked what was the address on the boxes and she wasn't sure but thought it was on the East Coast. When I asked her for the Texas address, she didn't know it.

My problem is that the Unreturned Equipment Charge is stated as $400.00 per 811 on my contract and Texas small claims courts are known to be very strict about such things. I have searched the forum for the Texas address but have not found it. After reading many of the stories about problems with returns, I want to send the units via Fed Ex (insured for $800) directly to the Texas address or the East Coast address if that is the correct one that the boxes should go to. I can give the Dealer a copy of the delivery receipts or should I just send them to the Austin dealer? If I were certain that the boxes would go to the right place and I would get proper credit for their return, I would just use the boxes. But it is worth the extra expense not to worry about $800.00 showing up on my credit card.

So the question is - does anyone know the correct address in Texas (or elsewhere) for the return of a leased unit or should I send them to the Austin dealer? Is there a special department or "attention of" it should got to? Is it OK to send both in the same package or should they be sent in separate boxes? I intend to tape all of my account info to each 811 and put the Receiver CA IDs and Smart Card IDs on the shipping label. Anything else you could recommend would be appreciated.

You worried too much - just wait when Dish will send the boxes to you. The process well known and done 1000000s times; keep tracking numbers from those labels and the receipts what you will get from shipping company.

Yep, I'm worried. The contract I signed is very specific about the $400.00 per 811 and the first guy I talked to at the dealer quoted the same amount. There are posts that describe problems getting or using the boxes from Dish. I do not want to wait for the boxes. I want to get these 811s out of here and on their way to the correct place using the most documented process available.

The boxes will come with a prepaid return shipping label. P
Ut the label on the box and give to UPS.

Before six months, leased equipment is supposed to be returned to the retailers. After six months, the equipment becomes DISH's as payments for your service were made to the retailer who signed you up. When you remove a leased receiver both before and after the six month period, DISH wants it back, but it only needs to go back to DISH if they've been on more than six months (so yes, in your case.)

As for the rest saying that boxes will come... be careful. Boxes aren't being shipped in all situations anymore...

Thanks Zero327. That makes sense and this morning the dealer (If of course, I talked to the "right" person) confirmed the six month deadline and said I should return the units to Dish. I will wait for the boxes and hope they come.

and I believe you'll see on the return label the shipping depot for Dish returns is indeed El Paso, Tx. You'll be fine. Just keep the tracking numbers on file for CYA purposes and enjoy your 622.

As an additional note, it is worth it to ask the shipping location for a drop off receipt. I've had one case where dish insisted their tracking program showed the tracking number as never scanned (UPS website did) and insisted I pay for a returned 322. I faxed them the drop-off receipt and within 48 hours the charge was removed from my bill. Plus, UPS is notoriously bad at losing shipments for weeks. I have at least 2 shipments a year that show up a month later than they were supposed to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)