"Forced" software update

laman400

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I have 4 311 receivers. I have received the new P419 update on 3 of them in the past few days which fixed a display bug in the old P417 update that had the effect of the switch not seeing the even number transponders on sat 110 when a check switch was run. Is there a "correct" way to force the P419 download to my 4th receiver that hasn't gotten the new P419 update yet (that is my main receiver in the house which is usually on for up to 20 hours per day), or is it correct procedure just to wait until it shows up by itself in the next few days? I'm concerned that updates are only received when the receiver is turned off, and this receiver is on most of the time. Thanks for any info.

Try getting in the habit of actually turning the receiver "off" before you go to bed each day (front panel power or remote button, not disconnected from power).

In any case, if it's been viewing programming, and you turn it off, it should download within a few minutes if there is an update available.

Pepper,
The receiver IS turned off every night, for at least 4 hours and sometimes even for up to 8 hours with the remote (green light on receiver is off). No download has been received on it. That's why I was asking what to do to "force" the download on that last receiver if that's the correct procedure.

P419 went to all 311 receivers so that receiver should get it.

Do a check switch (Menu, 6, 1, 1, Check Switch), let it download the guide and then turn the receiver off for 20 minutes. Come back and check to see if it took the update.

RandallA,
Thanks for the help. That procedure fixed things. I waited the suggested 20 minutes before turning the receiver back on after running check switch, and letting the guide reload before turning the receiver off. When I first turned it back on, I got a series of messages never seen before NOT to unplug or disturb the receiver as important program information was being downloaded. It took about 5 minutes for the info to download (I must have turned the receiver back on while the P419 update was coming in), the receiver then went thru a "Searching for sat signal sequence, another guide download, and then back to regular programming. When I then looked at the system info data, sure enough, the P419 update was there, and the switch was once again seeing the even # transponders on sat 110 that the old P417 update was missing. I'm not sure why this receiver missed getting the P419 update the regular way, but many thanks for your suggestion. We novices can always find someone here who has the right answers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)