Return receiver fee's?

rapidturtle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
North Eastern PA
I will be leaving Dish soon, and remember reading somewhere about return receiver fee's. I believe it was $15. Is that per receiver? I have a 722, and 2 211's. Would it cost me $45 to return them? Could I drop them off with a local installer to avoid the charge?

rapidturtle said:
I will be leaving Dish soon, and remember reading somewhere about return receiver fee's. I believe it was $15. Is that per receiver? I have a 722, and 2 211's. Would it cost me $45 to return them? Could I drop them off with a local installer to avoid the charge?

Will you be out of contract?

Yes, $15 per. You can send them back on your own dime, but you need shipping boxes and you might not save any money after buying insurance, etc. You cannot drop them off at a retailer's. One way to minimize the cost is to deactivate a couple of the receivers. Dish will send boxes at no charge (or at least they used to do that when just deactivating). Then you will only have one to send back when you terminate service. From the site, they have shipping fees now listed as $17 per.

Last edited:
If you are canceling your account, there usually is no fee. What you are thinking of is the fee when a receiver is replaced.

Opposite. Cancelling is when they always charge $15, replacement may have a fee but I have never paid one. People have done what Laddyboy suggested, deactivate receivers, then return just the one when you end your account.

I believe the fee went up to $17 recently.
Return two of your receivers BEFORE you cancel your account. They will be free to ship back that way.
Then after they have been returned you can cancel your account and only have to pay to send one back.

Return two of your receivers BEFORE you cancel your account. They will be free to ship back that way.
Then after they have been returned you can cancel your account and only have to pay to send one back.

Correct! As far as shipping a receiver on your own, it all depends on your location and the destination location. If the destination Zone is 2 or 3 (within your own state or neighboring state) it would be less than $17. Also, if you can pack safely all receivers in one box and the destination Zone is 2 or 3, it will be a lot cheaper to ship them yourself. If you use one large box, use the smallest box possible because they have what they call "Dimensional Weight". If Dimensional Weigh is higher than actual weight, the charges will be based on the Dimensional Weight. Dimensional Weight = (L x W x H)/166. Check upss.com if you want to know everything about shipping.

Last edited:

I believe it would be $17 per shipping label used. Depending on the size of the boxes they send you, perhaps you could the 722 in 1 and then both 211's in another? And I think they would have to actually be shipped back to their offices not a retailer or installer. I'm sure you would still be responsible.

I believe this is the new pricing.

Must have changed, it was a while ago I had to send parent's receiver's back when father passed.

I'm sure any fee's were waive (shipping and/or cancellation) were waived due to his passing.

Doesn't the use of Dish's label cover the shipping cost as well as has insurance on it as well?

Best offer is to send the 2 211's back first, then cancel and send in the 722 for the $17 fee.

The price is much better than you can get shipping on your own.

I just canceled my 13 year service with Dish and was not under contract.

I can verify that it is $17 for each receiver and for that you get a shipping box and a UPS label. They will want you to return the receiver, the remote, and amazingly they also ask you to remove the LNB & switch from your dish and send that back too. The boxes also contain literature that 1. Warns of extremely high charges if you don't send this stuff back and 2. A flyer saying they are willing to do almost anything to have you sign back up and offers up some discounts for a 2 year contract.

There is no room in these boxes for more than one receiver. In my case I sent back a 622 & a 612 and it cost me $34 + tax. They subtracted the remaining credit on my account so I owe them about $11.

Furthermore, they also had a record of two old receivers that I owned back from the days when you bought your receiver, and they indicated they would be sending a separate envelope and request that I deposit the smart cards from those receivers and send those back as well.

Last edited:
I am sure Dish's "quitting fee" really gives departing customers warm fuzzy feelings about their time with Dish and makes them eager to consider coming back in a few years. I'm also sure they sing Dish's praises to their friends constantly.

That was sarcastic, in case anyone couldn't tell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts