Returning Joey We Don’t Use Anymore

tobsandmags

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I have a wired Joey in a room we don’t use anymore and was thinking of saving myself $7/month by “deactivating” it. Can I deactivate it online?

I seem to recall paying Dish $50 for it. If true, is it mine to keep or do I need to return it? I don’t know if that was an activation fee I might have paid and the Joey has really been leased this whole time….or it’s truly mine to keep (and perhaps reactive at a later date if we want).

W
I have a wired Joey in a room we don’t use anymore and was thinking of saving myself $7/month by “deactivating” it. Can I deactivate it online?

I seem to recall paying Dish $50 for it. If true, is it mine to keep or do I need to return it? I don’t know if that was an activation fee I might have paid and the Joey has really been leased this whole time….or it’s truly mine to keep (and perhaps reactive at a later date if we want).
Check your equipment in mydish.com to see if it is leased or owned.

If you log on to My Dish, go to My Equipment, you should see it in the list of Your Equipment. Click on the
1636813873905.png
button and select the Joey. Might want to make sure that the serial number is the one you want to deactivate. Then confirm through a couple of screens. Reactivate whenever you need it again.

Reactions: charlesrshell
That helps. It’s a leased Joey 2.0. I don’t see anything standout online for deactivating it so I’m guessing I’ll need to call. How does the return process work?

Also, if I want to get another Joey in the future, how much is it costing now to do that? Would a technician have to come out to for that (which would seem unnecessary since I can plug it in myself)?

How does the return process work?
You call and have it deactivated, whereupon Dish will tell you to send it back. They will send you a box w/label to send it back in. The box they sent me was surprisingly generic and packed poorly. I did a better job so that it would get there intact. I did this all myself w/o visit from a tech.

I have no idea how to reverse this or how much that might cost. But I don't think you need a visit from anybody to reattach and re-authorize a Joey.

If you think you might need a Joey to activate from time to time, you can purchase one for between $85 to $100. Then all you need to do is call to activate it. Once it is on your record you will be able to activate/deactivate using MyDish.

If you think you might need a Joey to activate from time to time, you can purchase one for between $85 to $100. Then all you need to do is call to activate it. Once it is on your record you will be able to activate/deactivate using MyDish.

Where do you buy one?

Where do you buy one?
I have bought some receivers on eBay, although doing that you run the risk of having something be leased/past due on (Which is why I try contacting the seller first to get a receiver number, then call Dish to see if its eligible to be activated), or better yet, not work at all. Some good deals sometimes though (Bought 2x 4K Joeys for $40 a pop refurbished).

Solidsignal is a good retailer, although I just checked there stock and its a little overpriced (the Joey3 is "ok" at 96.99).

Although rare, you may also be able to get Dish themselves to sell you the equipment instead of leasing it, but not before they try to convince you to sign another contract. Should be possible though, since they have to sell receivers to people that don't have good enough credit (If that's even possible?) or more than 6 receivers (rules afaik is 1-6 can be leased and 7-15 has to be purchased).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)