Returning to Dish - Hopper or 922 or 722k

tingari80

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
NJ
Pls suggest. Returning to dish after 6 months. Used to have a 722k earlier. Have 1 HD and 1 SD.

Is it worth getting a Hooper? Or should I stick with 722k.

Prime time ad skipping /auto-recording of programs - doesn't matter, i can set recording rules for the few shows i watch on locals
1 TB - don't think I ever filled up 722k.
any other feature that supports a decision to jump to Hopper?

Couple of points based on comments below
1. Hate dish 2 year commitments. I was on contract free earlier. I had to temporarily disconnect as my apt community was shifting to a different provider. Heard that no-contract fee for Hopper is $400. Would have taken hopper without contract for $99, but $400 is too much.
2. I might get a HDTV in near future.

Last edited:
Do you plan on having more than one HDTV in the near future?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Off contract price for a hopper is $449 and the joeys are $99 each. The 922 is the way to go for 2 tv's. It's very stable and fast now, menus look beautiful. The 722k just feels antiquated now. Not to mention you get more storage and sling built in.

As mentioned above and in another thread going on about this, a 922 will cost you an additional $4.00 per month for DVR fee over the 722K. No worth the "prettier" interface, IMO. Only reason to consider a Hopper is if you are going to have more than one HDTV in the near future.

Sorry, but read more and you'll find that getting a ViP922 is not a good idea.

KAB said:
As mentioned above and in another thread going on about this, a 922 will cost you an additional $4.00 per month for DVR fee over the 722K. No worth the "prettier" interface, IMO. Only reason to consider a Hopper is if you are going to have more than one HDTV in the near future.

I think of it as a 'sling fee' because if you get a hopper, you're going to have to purchase a $49 adapter to get the same capability that comes standard in the 922.

Each receiver has it's own benefits and you have to pay more for some of those. You'd have to determine what your TV setup is and how you want it. If you have multiple HDTVs that you want HD programming on then go with the Hopper. If you want a receiver that is still loaded with features but can serve two TVs with one receiver then go with the 922. If neither of those interest you then go with the 722k.

Note: The upgrade fee for a Hopper has recently dropped.

Is the OTA feature something you can use?
I think it comes down to this, and how much you want to Sling. The 922 works great, but if the $4 extra makes it too much, and you'll never use the sling, then the 722 works. (I guess HD menus make a difference to some too the 922 certainly looks far better than the 722, but when it comes to watching TV there are no menus to look at)

The Hopper is definitely the receiver/system/tech of the future. If you are coming back to Dish out of contract, you might need to do some rewiring to get the Hopper working? Is this correct? I know Hopper installs aren't just plug and play with current equipment.

UPDATE...
I just called Dish. No-contract Fee for Hopper is $99. It is the same for every receiver. So if 722k and Hopper have same no-contract fee, i would go with Hopper...

Can DIRT member confirm this?

tingari80 said:
UPDATE...
I just called Dish. No-contract Fee for Hopper is $99. It is the same for every receiver. So if 722k and Hopper have same no-contract fee, i would go with Hopper...

Can DIRT member confirm this?

I would chat in and get confirmation on this. If you want a Hopper with no contract that means you would be purchasing the Hopper and i know they aren't selling you a $600+ box for $99. When I got my Hopper the upgrades was $100 plus a two year agreement so I would guess that info may be wrong or explained incorrectly.

I would chat in and get confirmation on this. If you want a Hopper with no contract that means you would be purchasing the Hopper and i know they aren't selling you a $600+ box for $99. When I got my Hopper the upgrades was $100 plus a two year agreement so I would guess that info may be wrong or explained incorrectly.

The activation fee for no-contract Dish service is $99. I would be leasing Hopper and paying the monthly fee.

The 922 is a good receiver. Ive had mine for just under a year, no problems at all to report. Love the sling feature, use it alot on my job working the graveyard shift.

Sent from my ZTE WARP using satelliteguys.

I had the 922...had two of them. Way better then the 722k...but still had flaws. Would lock up from time to time. Especially when trying to connect to a wireless network...but was only like twice a week Id have to reset it. I now have the hoppers and Joeys...fewer resets...and all the 922 features..besides sling. Id personally go with the hopper..as Id assume Dish is out to make Hopper almost perfect...before the 922. 922 is not on tv commercials...hopper is though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)