Reuse-DBS Stacked LNBF for 129? Proper Feehorn?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

m3repair

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Niagra Falls
I have a bit of a project that his been on the back burner for awhile and I want to accomplish it before the snow starts to fall, I wanted to take a DBS Stacked LNB use it with a DPP44 and then add it to a 30" Satellite Dish, so I can pick up 129 a little better then my Dish 1000+ can, What I am really looking for are two answers, Can I pickup 129 with the LNBF? (Pretty certain the answer is yes) And the second question is.... Where can I find the proper feedhorn for this LNBF that bolts on, I have hunted down ebay but keep finding ones for FSS and im looking for the proper one for this one that is DBS, the reason I want to use this LNBF is because most dishes larger then 24 don't seem to have the proper mount for a D-Shaped LNBF, I don't want to butcher a DP-Single LNBF and slap it on, I would rather use this one with the proper Feedhorn. Hopefully someone can chime in here,

P.S. I notice a lot of mods for the 121 FSS LNBF but yet none for the DBS to be reused....is this a first perhaps?

I have also attached pictures of the LNBF below:
DBS Stacked LNBF (Back).jpegDBS Stacked LNBF (Front).jpeg

The pencil-point feedhorn (110) from a 105 superdish would probably work for your purpose. I used to have one in the pile, I'll look and see if I can find it.

Thanks Iceberg for the reply, The sad part is I do not have the original horn from the 121 dish, It was scrapped a while back, I have been pondering if such a thing exists just for DBS though, the best I can come up with is the Eagle Aspen LNBF for direct-tv international but that is the wrong shape to work anyways, not a whole lot comes up on google either, any other ideas?

yes that LNB will work (with a feedhorn attached)

Thanks Pepper for the quick reply, hmmm but doesn't that have a shaped horn inside the LNBF, If you do have it please do let me know via here or pm me, I had the idea that if its not round exactly inside that perhaps we can spin it round on a lathe?
(EDIT: I understand what you mean pepper now by Pencil Shaped""")

The pencil-point feedhorn (110) from a 105 superdish would probably work for your purpose. I used to have one in the pile, I'll look and see if I can find it.

Last edited:
Another idea if someone has it is to find the old version of the 105-110 combo as originally they where separated as I recall, I have also added pictures to perhaps recall someones mind who may have one laying around that they can pass down perhaps?

OLD 119 LNB.jpgOLD LNBF.jpgOLD LNBF 2.jpg

Last edited:
yes, that's the one I was talking about, the pointy one in the middle from the older 105. The newer ones just had a DPP dual without the plastic cover. I have to see if I can find that part for you. It had a flat dielectric plate inserted at a 45 degree angle to accomplish the circular polarity.

There's a thread around here doing a similar mod for a 118 PrimeStar dish with circular polarity somewhere but darned if I can find it now.

I want to do the opposite and use the DBS LNBF for 129 on a 30" dish with a round mount and reuse this LNBF, I have seen the mods for getting 118 from the 105 or 121 LNBF, but it would be fantastic if you could find it!, your efforts for looking are much appreciated,

I know the kiddies have the model "new is better" but sometimes we just want to reuse what we have at least that's what I'm thinking in this case

yes, that's the one I was talking about, the pointy one in the middle from the older 105. The newer ones just had a DPP dual without the plastic cover. I have to see if I can find that part for you. It had a flat dielectric plate inserted at a 45 degree angle to accomplish the circular polarity.

There's a thread around here doing a similar mod for a 118 PrimeStar dish with circular polarity somewhere but darned if I can find it now.

You can also use a 500+ lnbf (old version not the dpp version) break the housing off of it and the strap for the 30" dish will hold it in place. Then use the 2d port to peak to 129.

I want to do the opposite
Actually you want to do the same thing, get circular polarity with an "aftermarket" feedhorn, this is accomplished with the dielectric plate. You're just doing it with an LNB that gets DBS frequency range rather than "linear Ku" range.

Frequency is determined by the LNB, polarity by the feedhorn.

I in this case don't have any feedhirnss to play with, I would rather find the correct one of possible if the 105-110 old combo works :), did you have any luck looking ?

Actually you want to do the same thing, get circular polarity with an "aftermarket" feedhorn, this is accomplished with the dielectric plate. You're just doing it with an LNB that gets DBS frequency range rather than "linear Ku" range.

Frequency is determined by the LNB, polarity by the feedhorn.

not yet, it's cold outside where my storage is, and i had other things to do today. Shall try to get to it tomorrow.

I wish I had access to an LNB like that, The other idea I had was to cut up a DTV LNB, flatten the edge of it with a grinder and then bolt it on, but it would be ideal if the proper feed-horn could be located. Thanks once again for all your replies! much appreciated

If I were doing this, and I do have the parts left over from modding the FSS LNB, I would take the leftover DTV feedhorn I have and not grind out the blade. Just fasten it to the LNB.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/253299-dish-dtv-=-fta-dish-fss.html
Anole posted a pic of other feeds he has collected in the thread also

The Purpose of this project is to reuse what I have, and not how to hack saw a version of the DP LNBF onto my dish, the dish itself requires the LNBF to me mounted close to the mount at the bottom, If I do what you told me to do I have a feeling and im pretty certain I am right about this one, the focal point would be way off since it moved about 10cm up when it should be really closer to the mount, I am sorry but that isn't a good suggestion in this case, plus why would I want to ruin my dish so I am only left to use it for 129? doesn't make sense to me, Thanks though!

Get an I adapter for a dish 500, cut 3 in off the LNB arm of the dish and a DP LNB will fit on just like a dish 300 or 500

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts