Reuse Direct TV mounting?

gres

Jun 10, 2010
AZ
Hello all,
I've recently moved into a new home and it has a Direct TV dish with 4 coax cables running down to the basement to a switching station.
Now if I were to go with Dish Network could I use the existing mounts or at least the coax cables?
Perhaps the mounting location won't be ideal for the Dish Network but maybe a number of the coax cables to be reused. I just don't want holes put into my new foam roof (which was installed by foaming around the base of the dish mount)! I do have another roof section that could be used and so perhaps they could extend the cables?

Thanks

PS didn't know what to search for if this was discussed previously so you can direct me

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
What does the dish look like?
Single 18" dish with 1 LNB?
22" dish with 3 LNB's?
larger dish with a line full of LNB's?

Are there any struts (braces) on the dish?

Reason I ask is the 18" & 22" dishes the mast could probably be reused but the larger dish uses a bigger mast. The cabling I **assume** can be used in some way or another depending on what the cables do once they come into the house. Do they go to a switch or just wallplates?

cornflakes

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 9, 2005
For what it's worth, I tried to have my Dish installer install on the same mount (the existing DirecTV dish is the same size), but he wouldn't touch it. Said it was technically not their property, and even though I had given them permission (since technically it's my property), the guy said no, and insisted on mounting his dish next to it on the roof. I even offered a tip but he says it's a legal thing and he could get in trouble if his boss were to audit the installation and see that the mount is old.

peaked

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 21, 2008
S.E. KY
It's done everyday. Most Dish polars will fit right on there. As Ice mentioned above,some larger dishes would require larger masts with struts for added support. The cabling should be reusable, if it is undamaged RG-6. Satco's will sometimes ask for their LNB back, but I've never heard of them asking a cust. to dismount a dish. The existing mast should be checked for plumb, and the mounting bolts should be up to par. If your tech is concerned about Direct wanting their mast, he can leave the one that comes with your new dish. That way, they get a compatible mast without having to take one down.

Jimmerinwi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 29, 2008
Midwest
For what it's worth, I tried to have my Dish installer install on the same mount (the existing DirecTV dish is the same size), but he wouldn't touch it. Said it was technically not their property, and even though I had given them permission (since technically it's my property), the guy said no, and insisted on mounting his dish next to it on the roof. I even offered a tip but he says it's a legal thing and he could get in trouble if his boss were to audit the installation and see that the mount is old.
I don't know where you are located, but in my neck of the woods, we reuse the mast if possible without any fears of failing QAS. As far as I know it isn't a fail.
Now, if your getting a 1000.4 dish, then you can't use existing mast's. The .4 mast is a thicker guage steel and normal mast are not up to snuff. Also, larger direct mast have too big of a diameter unless you use a pipe adapter. Fine for 500 or 1000.2 dishs', but a no no for 500+ or 1000.4.

gres

Jun 10, 2010
AZ
It is a 22" dish with 3 LNBs
Thanks for the responses.

What does the dish look like?
Single 18" dish with 1 LNB?
22" dish with 3 LNB's?
larger dish with a line full of LNB's?

Are there any struts (braces) on the dish?

Reason I ask is the 18" & 22" dishes the mast could probably be reused but the larger dish uses a bigger mast. The cabling I **assume** can be used in some way or another depending on what the cables do once they come into the house. Do they go to a switch or just wallplates?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
ok so the Phase III uses a stock 1 5/8 mast

since you are in arizona Dish would give you a Dish 1000.2 which is for HD and they can use the same mast

iliketj

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 17, 2009
down under
it can be done no problem, even with a larger directv dish, installer just has to use a quick pipe, i do it all the time

edit- as long as the current directv mast is on securely and there is line of site. i had an install where the directv mast was so poorly placed i had to put another mast next to it

digital echo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 21, 2005
Earth
it can be done no problem, even with a larger directv dish, installer just has to use a quick pipe, i do it all the time

edit- as long as the current directv mast is on securely and there is line of site. i had an install where the directv mast was so poorly placed i had to put another mast next to it

That is a failed QA in my DMA Using a quick pipe is unapproved. But, i just have the costumer sign off saying he wanted me to use it..

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I don't see why. I have used the same fence pole for DIRECTV and then changed it to a DISH 500,1000 , 1000.2 and now a 1000.4 sat dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts