Revenge of the evil archive feature....(and a sing-a-long rant)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SolApathy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 28, 2005
Scott,

This question is really for you to ask Dish... Are they going to reintegrate the ability to archive to an external drive? I am really irritated (especially after my interaction with tech support today) with how long this feature has been disabled. I'm sorry, it's just retarded. There is no reason that they could not have resolved this issue by now.

I paid the $40 fee for my DVR and have not been able to use it with my 922 since it wiped everything out back in May.... It's October now... Really Dish? Is it that complicated?

Now for story time....

I called in today regarding an issue I was having with the receiver locking up & having to reset it or unplug it, at which time it would reboot 4 times and then come on (round trip to watch TV....10 minutes). Once I got the receiver on my remote would no longer work and I would have to press System info on the box and re-pair the remote (rinse and repeat every few hours).

(see previous thread)http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-vip-922-support-discussion-forum/229997-forgetful-remote.html

Well I called in and the tech put me on hold repeatedly.... We got to the discussion of the external drive and how the feature never worked for me (unavailable as you all know)...

Well the agent asked me what brand of drive I have, so I tell him it's a seagate 1GB drive. Now the hilarity begins... He tells me "Oh, yeah those seagate drives are bad. There is a compatibility issue with them and you are not able to use the drive for archiving." ...So I chime in... So would another brand like WD work? He's like yeah definitely.... So I go OK, just a sec I have one. ( I could hear his heart sink because the little @#$ knew he was caught)

Well bottom line he admits the feature is not working but they are trying to resolve it as quickly as possible. So we shift back to the 922 issue and he determines I need a new 922... He goes yep, free of charge plus a $16 shipping charge (at which point I lost it). I let him know that just a week ago a tech was out because I moved into a new house. He had told me to call in, and now I am calling and getting informed I will be hit with a fee.... I went to cancellations (I've been a customer forever) and told them what I thought and they waived the fee and my box will be here in the morning...

I just wanted to rat though... I spent 40 minutes on with that tech and all he did was aggravate me...

Sounds like the Techs are now talking bullsh*t just like the regular csrs do. Tell them what they want to hear and they will go away. The archiving to an external hard drive feature has been my biggest bitch since I got this damn receiver back in May. I used to have over 150 movies I had saved to my hard drive but had to transfer them to the 922 to be able to actually watch them. Then had to get rid of about half of them but 75, to be able to have room on my receiver to record regular tv shows for the fall season. I even quit all premium movie channels as well as platinum channels and went with Netflix blu-rays and streaming to my computer -which I can watch through the 922 using playon.com. So even if they activate the archiving feature all I will do is transfer the remaining 75 movies to the external hard drive. The funniest thing is that I have adjusted to NOT having the external hard drive and it spurred me to use Netflix again.

Scott said on the other website for dishnetwork support that the NEXT software update WILL have the archiving to external hard drive feature and other things that will make the 922 "awesome" :rolleyes:, BUT it won't come for about a month. So here's hoping that Santa Charlie will bring the update by Christmas.:facepalm

Just another funny note.... They sent another receiver overnight with instructions on how to set it up...The problem- The software revision was S061, which meant:

-No remote linking
-722 style menus
- it could not use the broadband sling link (or just a failure to recognize it) so I could do an update..

Yay Dish!

Thank god I have a Ethernet jack on the same wall as the receiver.

I was as not concerned about the update, I was more concerned with being able to access my sling box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)