Review: AT&T U-VERSE

2) Objectively I think Uverse HD quality is better. No I haven't run any tests. However I've watched the lovely ladies on HDNet and a few programs on HD Theater, and I'm impressed. I've always felt D*'s picture was a little soft.

I think phase two has improved the HD quality quite a bit. I used to say it was 95% of DTV now I would say it's 99%. Most HD stuff looks better than DTV now but Uverse is still over compressing when the video is very dark, like a night sky with only a few stars you’ll see blocking. I'm betting they use VBR compression instead of a constant bit rate.

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here, it's been awhile since I've visited SatGuys.

I've been with D* for about a year and a half. While I wasn't super disappointed, I was on about a 3-month problem cycle. In other words every 3 months they came out to replace something. I went through 3 LNB's - they must have terrible QC on those.

Anyway, my HR-20's hard drive bit the dust a week ago, and I had an infuriating call with D* in which they walked me through removing batteries from my remote. This irritation caused me to look up what uverse offers existed. I was able to get $300 cash back by talking to their livechat.

Anyway, I have both active at the moment and I can say a few things:

1) I completely agree with technikal's brief review. I don't like the way skip works, their remote stinks (but I use a Harmony), and their VOD stuff is both low quality and a poor selection.

2) Objectively I think Uverse HD quality is better. No I haven't run any tests. However I've watched the lovely ladies on HDNet and a few programs on HD Theater, and I'm impressed. I've always felt D*'s picture was a little soft.

3) The 6mb Uverse package is performing better with standard web browsing than the 9mb Cox package I was on. Although it's less bandwidth, latency seems far, far better - it feels like I"m on broadband again, no more waiting 10-15 seconds for a page to load.

4) Apparently phase 2 rolled out the day I got my installation. The installer was briefly confused when the box he just hooked up said downloading update. Then he said something like "Oh, phase 2 must be out now". Apparently they've been waiting for it for awhile and didn't know it was coming. I'm not familiar with how it worked before, but the menus and guide are decent. It's no TiVo but I've come to accept the fact that nothing will be.

I haven't canceled D* yet. I'm waiting a week or two to make sure everything keeps working well. But, so far I'm pretty impressed. I always hate changing providers and learning something new, but so far it seems like it was a good move.

I have seen cash back offers from $225 to $275 with ordering online; could you give us the details on that $300 deal you got :)

I have seen cash back offers from $225 to $275 with ordering online; could you give us the details on that $300 deal you got :)

I got the same deal. I told them I was considering leaving DTV because of all the equipment trouble and they offered an extra $100 to sign up. In the end I got a $200 check and a $100 visa gift card. Recived them both before even the first bill was due.

I would like to say, I dont know what you all said or did, but I just finished chatting with somebody for uverse and I was told that the max back was $200 and that there was no $300 back. I told them that I still had a commitment with D* until April and if I couldnt get the $300 I was not interested. They told me bye. I dont know if it makes any difference, I live in El Paso, Tx.

I would like to say, I dont know what you all said or did, but I just finished chatting with somebody for uverse and I was told that the max back was $200 and that there was no $300 back. I told them that I still had a commitment with D* until April and if I couldnt get the $300 I was not interested. They told me bye. I dont know if it makes any difference, I live in El Paso, Tx.

It doesn't make a difference where you live (by the way I'm in ELP also). I manged to get $325, $300 cash back and $25 in the form of a Visa card. All you have to do is use the live chat and sometimes they will offer it to you.

First time I chatted with them I was offered the extra $100 but did not take it. The next 3 times I was never offered anything and told $200 was it. The 4th time I was offered the $100 so I would say it's a hit or miss thing.

The $25 come by entering the code "EXTRAGIFT".

I will also add that I never mentioned that I wanted an extra $100. All I did was tell them I was thinking of switching but U-Verse is more expensive in the long run compared to Dish. I also asked if they had any other promos other then the current one.

I have not received anything yet and that's because I am scheduled for install today between (12pm - 2pm). I'll be on the look out for it in the Rewards Center after install tho. :)

I was given a U-Verse brochure from my builder about a month ago. I'm really interested in the whole-home DVR concept. Our house is being built about 1 block from where we live now so I know we have FTTP - I had to have special DSL installation 2 years ago. Currently, I have DirecTV HD DVR and the only thing exceptional for me about DTV is the extra sports you get with it (like the mix channels, etc.) However, U-Verse can bring me faster internet and a more streamlined home setup, I'm all for it.

That said, what will I need to have pre-wired for our new home? Since it is IPTV, I can just have ethernet cable lined throughout the house, correct? No need for coax? One of the other things about DTV is that I will need to get (I think) 4 lines of coax run from the satellite location to the media panel in the bedroom. Not sure if I want to go that route again.

I just wanted to say thanks for your comments. I guess that it is kind of a hit and miss thing. Like calling D* and trying to get a HD DVR for a good price. Does anybody out there have any idea if and when they(ATT) plans to have at least 3 HD streams. That is one think that is keeping me from signing up. Again thanks for the help.

Does anybody out there have any idea if and when they(ATT) plans to have at least 3 HD streams. That is one think that is keeping me from signing up. Again thanks for the help.

THDVR Phase 2 just finished rolling out a couple days ago, Phase 3 will enable 3 hd streams but there is no date for that roll out which might be a little while IMO. It all depends on how far you are from the VRAD also. When deployed to get the highest number of HD streams you must be on the newer profile which will support the streams. UVclass 11 32mb which is for customers 2200' and closer.

Yes I have been doing a lot of research! ;)

By the way my install today didn't go as planned today. Tech showed up on time to install but the lines were giving errors and had to be conditioned which requires another dept. to come and do it. Well, they came and conditioned the lines and got signal working great but now I must wait for a new install date (July 29th). For my "failed" install they are giving me a service credit on my first bill and once installed they said they would give me 3 months free HBO/Starz :)

Luckily I still have Dish going right now while I wait.

Again thanks for all the info. As for how far I am from the VRAD, I am pretty close. I figure about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile.

I also wanted to say that I went back and chatted with somebody else and you were correct. He offered me the extra $100 back. How long do you have to have it before you get your rebates? How much do they charge for each of their boxes.

Again thanks for everybody's help.

I almost forgot, when I signed up I was told that I would get Stars and Showtime free. I asked the guy that I was chatting with, how long would I get those channels for free, I was told that they would be free as long as I didn't change my programming. Also when I was placing my order on line, I didn't see any place that asked how many boxes I want. Will the installer have extra boxes or do I need to call them. Again thanks for your help.

You should be able to check on the rebates a couple weeks after the order. As far as extra boxes go the option to add more should have been on the order form. I would call them to add before they come out. Each box is an additional $7.
The free Starz and Showtime depends on your programming package U300 and U400 have the Movie package which includes those channels.

I signed up to get the U-200 package. I was told that I would get Showtime, Starz and The Movie Channels for free as long as I didn't change my programming package. I did call and order the extra receiver and they did tell me that there was a $7 charge for that receiver. The DVR is free. no monthly charge that that receiver. My install date is 07/29 between 12-2. I had to call another number and have my dry DSL disconnected on the 07/28. I am very much looking forward to the install. I have suspended D* for two months at no charge, so that I can try out U-verse.

Can someone who switched recently from Dish Network to Uverse tell me if they are happy with their move? I am thinking of switching, because they have some channels I want that Dish does not.

Also, I see on their website, they have 4 Streams per household. Does that mean, 4 different people can watch 4 HD channels at the same time? Or from what I have read, does that mean 2 HD streams and 2 SD? Has the HD quality improved over the last couple of years. I am afraid of switching due to some older comments about HD quality. Based on one post, it seems it has improved.

Does anyone know if they are getting MLB Network soon?

Also, I see on their website, they have 4 Streams per household. Does that mean, 4 different people can watch 4 HD channels at the same time? Or from what I have read, does that mean 2 HD streams and 2 SD?

Does anyone know if they are getting MLB Network soon?

If you are 2200' or closer you can get the 4 streams (2hd/2sd) They do have a new profile that will allow 3hd streams but that won't come until phase 3 (no date on that roll out).

MLB Network is a big ? on U-Verse as well as CBS College Sports.

As far as quality goes I can't compare yet I am still waiting for my install, but like you I am moving from Dish to U-Verse.

your PQ will vary, depending on the install, and the wiring in your household; some folks are thrilled, while others hate it..My PQ was fine until about 2 months ago, and now I suffer from pizelation/macroblocking, and occasional picture freezage, so I am leaving Uverse.
you get 4 TOTAL Streams, and only 2 HD...Their "3HD Profile" has NOT been officially confirmed, so if that is important to you, don't switch. Yes, 4 people can watch THE SAME HD program, but you can NOT watch/record 4 different HD shows at the same time..
There are tons of rumors ALL THE TIME about what is and what is not coming, but dont pay any attention to them, since most do NOT happen..I've been waiting for on screen caller id for a year now, and its still not here.

Review Update on Uverse:

Ok, I ve had Uverse over a year now. It is new to my area.
After loads of trouble. Several equipment changes and over 9 service calls.
Uverse finally works great!

No more picture freezing or picture drop outs.

Im very happy ''now'' with the service. I hung in there and it really has gotten better.

So, the HD picture is almost equal to directs HD. SD is by far the best. Dare I say Uverse has more primium channels in HD then the two sat cos?
Love the new HD shorts..Nice addition.

Ok whats the downside?
Limited streams and you cant yet pause live tv with non dvr units at least not in my area.

I still have dish..Why??? Dvr is still better than anything out there.
But have down graded since they took down Voom.

Just cant say goodbye to that darn 722 dvr..its that good.

You story is very similar to mine

Review Update on Uverse:

Ok, I ve had Uverse over a year now. It is new to my area.
After loads of trouble. Several equipment changes and over 9 service calls.
Uverse finally works great!

No more picture freezing or picture drop outs.

Im very happy ''now'' with the service. I hung in there and it really has gotten better.

So, the HD picture is almost equal to directs HD. SD is by far the best. Dare I say Uverse has more primium channels in HD then the two sat cos?
Love the new HD shorts..Nice addition.

Ok whats the downside?
Limited streams and you cant yet pause live tv with non dvr units at least not in my area.

I still have dish..Why??? Dvr is still better than anything out there.
But have down graded since they took down Voom.

Just cant say goodbye to that darn 722 dvr..its that good.

I too still am keeping Dish, but the service with Dish is the welcome package.

What is really bothering me about UVERSE though is their billing system. I NEVER signed up for paperless, and I am continually trying to get them to send me a paper bill.

Each time they say they changed the account to insure that I get a paper bill, and each time the bill is due, I have to go online and pay it.

Either their software sucks, their customer associates suck, or both.

If this isn't resolved soon, I will cut them off, and bring back Dish 100%

It isn't too much to ask for a paper bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)