Review: AT&T U-VERSE

BigFella: Whole House DVR is coming (so they say). Unfortunately, no timeframe has been given other than "soon". (I know, same playbook, different company).

Bigjoo: I don't have the TV service, so I can't answer your questions. Perhaps one of the other members can.

Long time reader, first time poster.

Have they added the ability to order live events? This is a big deal and the person i was talking to couldn't/wouldn't give me a straight answer. Also i was wondering if they have improved the dvr functionality at all concerning the remote DVR viewing and whatnot. Thanks in advance.

it looks like they have added some events:

www dot att dot com/gen/sites/iptv?pid=8703

(too new to post a url)

LER/BigFella: my sales rep told me on Monday that it would be up and running in September/October. I'm in Round Rock, TX.

I have questions for you all about U-verse. I do computer networking so hit me with the technical...I can handle it.

I have Dish Network and will keep it while I try U-verse. I would like to have them run ethernet for everything to each room. I can add an ethernet jack to each drop point where the satellite boxes are so the drops should be easy.

If I have them run Ethernet to all the rooms that require it for U-verse where to all the runs go? For example, the Master BR, Living Room and 2nd bedroom all have TV so do I run them all to the 3rd bedroom where the computer stuff is? Will I have 3 ethernet cables running to my 3rd bedroom to plug into the RG and one line from the RG to the NID on the outside of my house?

I understand networking. I currently have DSL - firewall - switch
Switch is connected to 4 PCs, Vip622, Xbox and wireless which connects laptops. I don't want to use the wireless on the RG because I want everything behind my firewall...I have more control that way. I prefer they NOT use coax for networking...I'm just "that way", ya know. :)

Actually, a wiring diagram would be ideal.

All emanates from the RG.

The RG connects to the wires from the VRAD(NID), and then distributes ETHERNET to the TV/COmputers.

It also has the voice port for phone. My installer set up a jack I can use to back feed the telephone to all the jacks in the house.

If you keep the POTS service, there is a VDSL BALUN in the NID to connect the POTS jacks to.

Ask away if you need more info.

Oh, and the RG has a firewall in it, and it is very configurable, for both static and DHCP addresses. Adding a 2nd firewall will confuse it.

Fast wiring diagram:

NID--> Broadband port on RG

RG Ethernet ports -> Computers and STB's

RG Voice Ports-> POTS

RG Coax -> STB's if they use COAX/HPNA

In the NID, a VDSL filter/balun is placed and the POTS split there if you keep POTS service

(My ascii art got squashed by the browser, so I replaced it with the above)

Last edited:
Ok, I think I've got it. Picture attached.
I know that two firewalls is not easy to use/configure, but if I connect everything directly to the RG then internal network file transfers I do could interfere with TV streams. Plus I don't entirely trust any device that AT&T could potentially gain access to...first rule in Network Security. I have done dual zone DMZs at work with an external and internal firewall so I'm up to the task.

If I attached the image properly take a look and let me know if I got it right.

diagram.png

Last edited:
Yep, but the 2nd firewall will piss the RG off. Use the firewall in the RG...

It'll work for most setups, and allow you to use the strong wireless signal.

The RG has a NAT router in it.

actually, the TV streams should have their own, and you have 100MB behind the firewall (the Ethernet ports are 10/100 autosense. They come up in FD for me. I also think the tv stuff will have QOS set so they get priority inside.

FWGMills and LER - My STB's are connected to the RG using my existing RG6 coax. I don't use CAT5 as you illustrate FWGMills. Like LER says, each of the STB's have a 10/100 Ethernet port that I've connected switches and devices to (Slingbox, PS3, HDA2, etc. in my HT setup). My dilemma is, since I've decided to give up Averse TV, the STB's (and Ethernet ports) will go back to ATT, leaving me without that handy hardwire connection back to the RG (I plan on keeping the Uverse Internet). I repeat my earlier RFI - anyone know of a good ECB that'll work with the Uverse RG?

They use "HomePNA" for the coax if that helps. I have my Coax in use for Dish, so don't have it connected to the RG.

Can you use the wireless on the RG?

They use "HomePNA" for the coax if that helps. I have my Coax in use for Dish, so don't have it connected to the RG.

Can you use the wireless on the RG?

Thanks for the info - I'll do a search. Before Uverse, I was connected wirelessly through a Buffalo wireless to Ethernet bridge. As I see it, my current choices are, (A) Run Ethernet from upstairs to down (difficult and messy but fastest), (B) Go back to the Buffalo wireless adapter (easy and clean but slowest) or (C) Find a compatible ECB ( like option B but faster)

I have a Linksys WRT54GS running the DD-WRT software as a wireless bridge. This seems to work well for bridging from my 1st floor to the RG on the 2nd floor.

I have my Wife's computer and one of the 622's connected to it via Ethernet, and then it bridges onto the wireless.

Another option.....

BigFella and LER:

Thank you both for the information. Since I'm keeping Dish Network for at least a month while I "test" U-verse, the installer will have to run something to each TV anyway. By my way of thinking it might as well be ethernet since that should be easiest to configure (I'm guessin' here) and better for me if I ever dump U-verse in the future.

I'm definately well armed for the installation. My wife said she saw a AT&T U-verse van on our street today so someone's going for it.

U-Verse Rocks!

I have had U-Verse for 2 weeks now here in South Florida and it is great!

Instead of the Coax at the nid, they used CAT5E to the 2Wire Gateway, then my DVR is fed striaght via ethernet to the gateway, and 4 other receivers are fed via coax.

I have the U400 Package, HD and Spanish Package, and their 10MB/1MB Internet tier. Im only 521ft away from the VRAD so it syncs great.

I have left my dish behind, but no regrets so far!!

I have had U-Verse for 2 weeks now here in South Florida and it is great!

Instead of the Coax at the nid, they used CAT5E to the 2Wire Gateway, then my DVR is fed striaght via ethernet to the gateway, and 4 other receivers are fed via coax.

I have the U400 Package, HD and Spanish Package, and their 10MB/1MB Internet tier. Im only 521ft away from the VRAD so it syncs great.

I have left my dish behind, but no regrets so far!!

Where i florida?? I just got mine hooked up two days ago?
Im still holding on to dish to make sure i like uverse. So far so good.

I must say that the PQ is really much better than i expected. Plus i love VOD how cool is that.
Menus are just spectacular. It has some of what I like about dish. A similar feel.

No technical issue taht i can see. Internet, still seeing if its better than my cable service.

We are having a huge thunderstorm here and I wanted to check out the news so I logged into my UVERSE Slingbox.

I was surprised to see an EAS alert on the screen letting me know there was a weather alert for my area. Besides having an on screen alert there was a tone alternating with the audio from the program. By pressing the exit button on the remote got rid of the tone and graphic on the screen.

Two thumbs up to Uverse for one of the best EAS systems I have ever seen.

Attachments

• uverse_eas.jpg
    uverse_eas.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 245

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)