Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I first heard about this part when someone was looking for replacement u-bolts for their SG2100. I don't have a DMS SG2100 but rather a Moteck one. I noticed that there are several manufacturers that make a 'SG2100' and I figured it was likely that some of the parts would interchange. This part is cheap so I figured it was worth a shot :cool:

50mm equals 1.968" or just shy of 2".

I didn't measure, but this tube seems to be a tad larger O.D. than my 1 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC stretched over the original 1 5/8" tube on the SG2100. This is a good thing!

Installation was a piece of cake. The only tool required was an allen wrench to take the single bolt that affixes the tube to the motor. I took the bolt loose and the nut just falls out of the other side of the tube where there is a hex shaped recess for it. Once the bolt is out, a gentle tug had the 1 5/8" tube off of the motor. The install was exactly the opposite. I put the 50mm tube on the motor and re-installed the bolt. The bolt was kind of an interference fit going in and out with both tubes but it wasn't too bad.

So you might be asking... Why spend the $$ on this when a couple dollars in PVC had me up and running?

With my two PVC sleeve setup, I could rotate the dish on the motor without a whole lot of effort. I think the PVC sleeve on PVC just made for a slippery union.

The good news is - With just the 2" Schedule 40 PVC sleeve, it feels VERY steady. The only dish movement I get now is the little bit of slop in the motor.

For anyone looking to put a dish with a 2 3/8" mount on a SG2100, this tube is definitely worth it.

This is yet another great product from DMS!

Last edited:
Nicely done there Shawn. I did not buy the 50mm replacement arm for my 1m Winegard dish, which i had no problem adapting it to the oem arm the SG2100 comes with.

I've had it for a while now, and works like a champ.

Read your Pm Shawn, it might be something of interest to you Pal. :yes

Thank you for this information. Almost bought a stab hh120 for my 1m winegard. You just saved me alot of cash!

scupmando said:
Thank you for this information. Almost bought a stab hh120 for my 1m winegard. You just saved me alot of cash!
Don't forget that the HH120 is rated for more weight that the SG2100 :). Some of the guys with the 1.2M dishes say that the motor struggles to get the dish back up from the far ends of the arc.

My SG2100 doesn't complain at all swinging the 26x36 Primestar around :D

shawn,
can you tell me a distributor that carries the 50 mm replacement? i have been looking everywhere. am interesting in trying the same thing
also where did you get the lnb bracket to hold it on the primestar dish?
thanks

Shawn how would a 84cm oval work with a 2100 ? I know on another site someone used a Dish 500 bracket rather than a Primestar bracket because of the weight difference . Do you think that would make that much difference. Thanks for all your comments and input, Mike

Neil - PM sent

The feedhorn / waveguide etc you see in the pics is the original Channel Master feedhorn that terminates to a C120 flange. In a pinch a piece of plumper's tape over the top of the lnb just sitting on the saddle works (like the one in my avatar). The only problem with that is that it's a tad too high to be optimal. In spite of this, it has worked out pretty good for me up till now.

I believe this exact dish was actually used for Starband two-way satellite internet service. I mixed and matched some parts from my nearly identical Primestar dish (the az / elevation mount) to save some weight and now I have this pristine 'Primestar' Dish. The mount that came on the dish weighed about 5 pounts more and was skewable.

dishMIKE -

That should work just fine on the SG2100 - I believe that is even smaller than mine!

I had originally hacked a dish500 bracket onto my Primestar but it was WAY too flimsy. If the weight seems too much on your setup, the setup with angle stock that Ziploc put together looks to be a pretty ingenious solution:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=42450&highlight=primestar

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)