REVIEW: DPP44 Switch & DPP-Twin LNB for BEV

Altaman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
With the decent weather in Calgary yesterday I thought that it was a good time to upgrade my SW44 and legacy LNB's to the DPP44 switch (dishPro Plus) and DPP-Twin LNB in preparation for the eventual release of the 942 HD-PVR.

First step in the upgrade was to disconnect the 5900 and 6100 receivers from the satellites and then do a check switch to clear out the SW44 settings from them. Then it was up on the roof to remove the old LNB'S and install the DPP-Twin. This was a little more difficult that I had anticipated as the twin is one piece setup whereas my old legacy LNB'S were two individual dual Lnb's. With the one piece setup it is a much tighter fit in getting the Lnb to fit into the "Y" bracket. I had to remove the "Y" bracket from the dish to get the twin to properly seat into the bracket so the screws would tighen the LNB into the bracket. The nice thing about the Twin is that it only requires two cable runs into the house whereas the old legacy to the SW44 required four runs (one run for each satellites odd transponder and one run for each even transponder).

Next it was into the house to mount the DPP44 switch (the manual states you can mount the DPP44 outside but the power inserter inside), but I like it in the house for ease of access plus then you do not need to worry about adding cable runs into the house later for additional receivers. The DPP44 switch is much bigger that the old SW44 and will allow you to cascade 2 additional switches, allowing for a possible 12 receivers to your system. When hooking the cables to the DPP44, ensure the center copper wire is out about 1/4 inch from the screwon connector, the switches tend to need longer wires to get a good connection. I did not have to add any length to mine as I had done this previously for the old SW44
icon_smile.gif
. With all cables hooked up, it is now time to connect the power inserter and then give it some juice!

Now was the test of the receivers, first I went to my 6100 and did a check switch, no work! I turned off the receiver, disconnected the power from the switch, switched the dish cables and then decided while I was downstairs I would startup the 5900. I ran the check switch (BTW the check switch on the DPP44 requires only 4 tests compared to 38 on the old SW44) and there it was, the 5900 recognized the switch as a DPP44
icon_smile.gif
and gave me picture. Next it was back upstairs to the 6100 and run the check switch. The 6100 did not recognize the type of switch installed and only showed 1 set of transponders. I ran the test again this time it showed no sats at all
confused.gif
. I exited out of the menus and allowed the receiver to check for channels and download the guide and everything worked!!!! It seems that while the 6100 is compatible with the hardware and works fine, it will require a firmware update to show things properly in a check switch. While not a show stopper (pun intended
icon_smile.gif
), it would have been nice to see the check switch showing everything properly.

My final test is going to have to wait until BEV releases the 942 HD-PVR! This test will involve the separator, which allows you to use one cable run to a dual tuner receiver and separate the cable at the receiver to allow both tuners to be used without running more cable. So for now the separator will sit in my desk waited for that eventful day.

Hope this little review is helpful to others who are contemplating moving to DP technology.

Alt

I just put a DPP 44 on yesterday as well. Only trouble I had was my 921 wouldn't recognize the 61.5 slot until I added the separator. :confused:

I had my 921 connected with 2 lines, then tried the separator and everything was fine. :)

That is weird!

In Canada we only have two sats available, so I can not test it and we don't have any HD-PVR :(. Wonder if it is a 921 issue or if it happens with the 522, etc?

Overall though, I am impressed with the setup...seems slightly faster at changing channels that the Legacy/SW44 combo, just wish I had a HD-Pvr to test with :(.

Alt

Similar problem

Altaman, I am having a similar problem with my 6100 using Dishpro LNB's, but I can't get out of the menu's. This 6100 has never been fired up before, so it won't let me past the setup screen no matter what I do.

Any thoughts?

hutchro said:
Altaman, I am having a similar problem with my 6100 using Dishpro LNB's, but I can't get out of the menu's. This 6100 has never been fired up before, so it won't let me past the setup screen no matter what I do.

Any thoughts?

Well off the top of my head, my first question is is the dish properly aligned to download the software update? Second have you checked the connectors at the dish & receiver, possibly bad connectors. Third have you gone into the align dish menu (6-1-1) to see if you are getting any signal and possibly running a check switch.

Alt

Nothing wrong with connecters, was working fine for a Dishnetwork install 10 minutes earlier. Nothing wrong with alignment on 91 and probably not 82 either, because if I do check switch, it all of a sudden picks up 82 instead of 91, just not both.

You said you had it working with the DishPro LNB, and you elaborate on what you are getting. I could throw a DP34 in the mix, but I don't think that's necessary or part of my problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)