Review of Pansat 2500A

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jh98

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Review of Pansat 2500A

I purchased my Pansat 2500A this summer. This is my first experience with FTA, so I can't compare it with other receivers.

I purchased the Pansat for its "smart search" feature, which works quite well. It's very easy to use: once you have found a satellite, you go into the installation menu and select Smart Search. You can search by FTA and scrambled channels, or FTA only. It takes about 15 minutes to scan a satellite. It's also possible to do a "satellite scan" which I think means it scans all the transponders already in memory for a particular satellite, but doesn't search for new transponders. An "advanced scan" lets you manually set PIDs. None of this is explained very well in the manual.

The procedure for adding a channel takes two steps. First you add the transponder under "TP Edit", then do a scan for that transponder. There are step by step instructions for this and adding a satellite on Pansat's web site.

These features all work quite well, although the poorly-written manual doesn't explain how to do them in enough detail. Once you have the satellites set up, the receiver works fine most of the time, but there are some problems.

The first problem I had was trying to add a SG-2100 motor. Although the Pansat has provisions for USALS, I couldn't get it to work, so I used DiSEqC 1.2 to control the motor. Most of the time it worked, but at times the motor would suddenly veer off in the wrong direction. By looking at this and a couple of other forums, I discovered the original Pansat software doesn't work with the SG-2100. I successfully downloaded updated software from Pansat's site, which loaded without a problem, but it does reset everything and you lose whatever channels you had stored.

The new software usually works well with a motor, but every once in a while it simply won't find a particular satellite you're seeking and you have to reset the unit with a switch on the back. I've noticed this tends to happen if I've been changing satellites several times or readjusting the DiSEqC settings. Pansat does sell their own motor (or at least a motor made by someone else with their name on it) so perhaps these problems are only with the SG-1200 and it works better with their motor.

The remote is small and it's easy to hit the wrong button. Also, occasionally adjusting the volume on my tv's remote will change a channel on the Pansat, but not on a regular basis. But the various remote commands work well, such as bringing up the satellite list, a graph of signal quality, switching between TV and radio channels, or changing the audio feed. There is also the provision for five favorite channel lists.

There are a couple of other annoyances. In order to enter the installation or channel list edit menus, you must enter a password. It becomes rather tedious to keep entering the password. Also, any changes made to the channels list (such as renaming a channel or moving it to a different location in the list) must be done with the "all satellites" list rather than the list for the specific satellite, which means wading through 600 channels.

The Pansat has very nice picture quality, and the on-screen graphics are easy to read. Actually watching TV with the unit is a pleasant experience, and the smart search really does work well. However, I think Pansat needs to do some more work on the software to eliminate the motor control problems, and make editing a channel list an easier chore.

Jh98,

I share the same feeling when it comes to the SG-2100 motor seizing up. I've had my receiver since November and this has happened to me twice. Each time I have to turn off the unit from the back to make the Pansat 2500A turn the motor again. Or it just stays stuck. At first I thought it was the motor itself. But once I did a reset of the ird, it started working again.

The unit is nice and compact. I like the sleek silver look to it. It came with the latest software (July 30, 2004) so I didn't need to load anything to it.

I like the remote control. I find the shape is easy to grip because the bottom is contoured and it is not to small to push the buttons. I like the "pause" button feature where you can freeze a frame that you like, while watching tv.

I agree that the manual does not explain very well the "satellite" scan feature but it is better written than other FTA manuals I've seen and the illustrations are nice and clear.

I like the fact when surfing channels you have a quality bar displayed as well. This gives you an idea of what the quality is without having to go to the installation setup menu to see the tp's quality.

I agree that the "request for password" is a pain in the ass every time you access the installation menu and user setup. But, I can imagine that if I had children around, I would want this feature to come up. Not for fact that there is "Adult movies" on, FTA has none anyway :-( , but they may screw up your setup big time. What Pansat should have done is maybe have this as an optional thing to set and not have it all the time.

All in all, I like my Pansat and if I did not come to Satelliteguys.us, then I won't have even got this unit to play with. If I didn't get it free I would have bought the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra. I live in Toronto and I actually met with David McGrath at Fortec Communications to discuss issues with regards to my dish. I was tempted to buy one of them, but I wanted to get my dish setup up first then buy the ird.

New Pansat software

I saw on another board someone had upgraded to Pansat's version 225. (I had previously upgraded to version 224.) Unfortunately, on Pansat's website you can't find out what version of the software they have until you download and unzip it, which I did... and it's version 232, dated January 1st, 2005.

I installed it, but so far, I haven't seen any change in the unit's operation.

How did you download the new bin file from pansatusa.com? The receiver did not come with a cable. What cable do I required? They say on the website a 232 cable, where would I find this?

Is it worth upgrading the software?? Pansatusa does not give an explanation of what this upgrade entails. It would mean resetting everything and starting over again, setting USALS, DiSeqC1.2, inputting freq, etc.

Also, I forgot to mention if a null modem cable will do? The pansatusa site says not to use one for PC to receiver but only between receiver. Will it not work?

Mark2074 said:
Jh98,

I share the same feeling when it comes to the SG-2100 motor seizing up. I've had my receiver since November and this has happened to me twice. Each time I have to turn off the unit from the back to make the Pansat 2500A turn the motor again. Or it just stays stuck. At first I thought it was the motor itself. But once I did a reset of the ird, it started working again.

Just want to add that my 2500A gave up after some serious satellite hunting. I was making a number of small corrections. The 2500A froze up and needed a reset. Worked for a while then died. Panarex replaced the PCB. Don't do too much aiming at a time.

Otherwise I really like the unit. Current BIN works fine with the SG-2100 using USALS - a big help. Also, although there were some reports of lower sensitivity with the 2500A I find it much more sensitive than my 330A.

Now its time to get a 2700A! :D

Craig

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts