Please review TNAP firmware slot/programming

Alan Rovner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Hi guys, for the Edision OS Mio+ 4K would you please review how to use the different firmware slots? Is there any documentation on this subject? I would like to try the new TNAP 5 version. My overall goal is to not mess up anything. If I put version 5 in an open slot, will all my satellite and channel definitions remain as they are? That is, I won't need to rescan anything?

Thanks for any pointers and I hope others can benefit from the discussion too. Regards,
Al Rovner, K7AR
Vancouver, Wash.

Leave Slot 1 empty. That's where the USB slot automatically writes to if using a USB memory stick to upgrade.

When you put a new TNAP into a slot, you usually have the choice for a whole new install or to keep personal configurations. In theory, if you keep your configurations, then there would be minimal reconfiguration necessary. I don't do that. I like doing a complete install from scratch. I think it's the cleanest way. Rescanning my satellites gives me a chance to clean up my system. TNAP 5 is a major upgrade; it may require you to do an install from scratch.

You can change between slots any time you want so keep your current system. If TNAP 5 doesn't work for you, then you can just switch back to your previous system.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

Perform a backup and then options to restore it will be shown. Provided you offload the settings to a USB/External drive.
I just did it on my mio4k.

Arlo, please let me know if this is the correct procedure.

1. I manually did a backup and have a backup folder on a USB drive.
2. I downloaded the TNAP 5 Multiboot file from Legit FTA.
3. After unzipping the file I copied the osmio4kplus folder to the USB drive.
4. I inserted the USB drive in the Mio and rebooted it.

It sees the file and displays a TNAP 5 boot message, and wants me to press OK for 10 sec or something like that. I'm not sure what to do at this point. It keeps rebooting TNAP 4.1. Obviosuly I'm not pressing the right key sequence to get it to flash. Thanks for any suggestions,
Alan

Thanks I'll go through the process. I know what an MC6809 is although I don't remember the E version. In the 1970's I was an electrical engineering college student majoring in microprocessor and digital design. I even remember Mikbug! All the projects I worked on used Motorola processors and their related RAM, I/O, and other peripheral chips. Brings back good memories.

Well that didn't take long. I successfully upgraded to TNAP 5. I restored my previous backup file and all the existing satellites and channels were restored. I don't have the energy to re-tune all the satellites and stuff. Seemed to work fine. Thanks for the helpful instructions.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Sorry. Got caught up in life.
Took me a bit also at times.
General rule.
An emmc image is for booting from USB with the press the OK button.
You lose all slots. Emmc images wipe the receiver for a fresh start with only the image you flashed.
Multiboot images are installed from a running system. And are flashed in the multiboot image selector.
When done correctly you should find the image you wish to flash and given a choice of which slot you flash it in.
If not configured correctly in the menus where your actual backups, plugins, and stuff is to be located you may have a bit of navigation in store. I use an external USB HDD. Cuts all the headaches.
Also remeber. If you installed a new image from USB. Movies, timeshifts, etc. will be pointed at the stick.
If you pull it out after image flashing then you have to give a new storage location in the menu.
A 1TB externa USBl HDD (not ssd) is a great addition to your receiver.

Reactions: Lee60
Sorry. Got caught up in life.
Took me a bit also at times.
General rule.
An emmc image is for booting from USB with the press the OK button.
You lose all slots. Emmc images wipe the receiver for a fresh start with only the image you flashed.
Multiboot images are installed from a running system. And are flashed in the multiboot image selector.
When done correctly you should find the image you wish to flash and given a choice of which slot you flash it in.
If not configured correctly in the menus where your actual backups, plugins, and stuff is to be located you may have a bit of navigation in store. I use an external USB HDD. Cuts all the headaches.
Also remeber. If you installed a new image from USB. Movies, timeshifts, etc. will be pointed at the stick.
If you pull it out after image flashing then you have to give a new storage location in the menu.
A 1TB externa USBl HDD (not ssd) is a great addition to your receiver.
Why not a SSD?

I been recording daily on a 128GB USB Drive for a few years now. Guess I'm testing my luck but honestly I would have thought this setup would have already given me trouble :)

I need to upgrade to TNAP 5 myself but as much as I record for myself and the wife I'm gonna have to fire up the U5 and have it online recording while I get the update done lol